Herpes Community
Anxiety or Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Anxiety or Herpes?

I apologize for the length of this post in advance! I'm a nervous wreck.
Tested negative for all stds prior. I had half protected, half unprotected sex ONCE with someone new about 3 weeks ago. I immediately regret what had happened, seeing as how I was drunk & he gets around. Let me go over my symptoms & whirlwind I've been through the last few weeks. 2 days after incident I felt burning when urinating & went to the gyno. Diagnosed as bacterial vaginosis & a little yeast. The antibiotics gave me a full blown yeast infection which was itchy & very uncomfortable. Everything seemed to clear & then I had numbness, tingling & weird sensations in my groin for days. Was this anxiety over my fear of contracting herpes? I had a full on mental breakdown thinking I had herpes . Few days later I felt burning when urinating & cloudy urine. Diagnosed as a uti with blood in my urine. Tested for chlamydia & gonorrhea, negative. Seems like the uti has cleared up (now week 3 almost 4 weeks since incident) I am now very sick with an ear ache, extreme nasal pressure & congestion. I'm also itchy & irritated down there & check myself constantly to every little feeling down there. Are these all symptoms of an outbreak? I've obsessed & read hours & hours of symptoms of herpes & feel as if it's anxiety manifesting symptoms or real? I'm terrified. I can't get a blood test for another 3 week's & have been going crazy.
So my questions for you are this.
What are the chances I caught herpes from one time unprotected/protected sex?
I've tested positive for HPV in the past & have heard you have a higher chance or getting it with HPV.

Are all my symptoms a mild outbreak or anxiety? I've had no sores or lesions. Just irritation & different skin sensations.

Am I actually just sick (whole family is) or is this flu like symptoms that come along with an outbreak?

With the amount of dwelling & worry I've put on my body, wouldn't an actual blister outbreak happen with the stress I've put myself through (if I was positive for herpes)

Lastly, is 6 weeks long enough to wait before getting a blood test?

I can't thank you enough for reading & helping me with this!
Tags: mental, test
Unfortunately you have to wait until 3 months post encounter to seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing from this encounter.

at this point, return to be seen again for testing again for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally. Not unusual at all to get a recurrence, especially since you were on antibiotics again for the uti.  also fyi - it's normal to get white , thick, chunky discharge after treating for bv - it's actually dead bacteria coming out and it will go away on its own in a day or two. cleansing your genital area with luke warm water to remove it is helpful.  

would you have stressed yourself enough to notice an ob if infected? well not really. stress isn't a consistent trigger for herpes contrary to what some sites say.

grace
Thank you so much for your response. Can you tell me the chance of contracting it from my experience & do you think all the random sensations coming & going are anxiety produced? With the stress question, I also meant body stress as in having bv, yeast infection & a uti trigger my first ob? Also seeing as how most cases show signs 2 days to 2 weeks & it's almost been 4, mean anything?

odds are it is stress/anxiety causing a lot of what you are feeling though bv can cause some of these issues in the genital area too. I hate bv more than I hate herpes!!!  

follow up with the testing at the proper times to get peace of mind :)  the risk from a one time mostly protected encounter is really low but not impossible. If no one is seeing lesions on your cervix or externally though, not likely this is herpes related at all.
Thank you so much for your time, I will!
Hi Grace! So I tested at 7 weeks and was negative for HSV type 1 & 2. But with further reading I've scared myself into thinking I tested too early. I looked up testing windows for herpes and it said early detection at 2-5 weeks and most accurate at 6-12. I was at 7 & haven't accepted my negative result. I have been doing heavy cardio and exercise with the Insanity program & have had constant groin pain and throbbing on both sides for about a week. Is this an injury due to exercise, herpes or anxiety? Should I get tested again at 12 weeks or trust my 7 week result? & can you try to explain my groin pain from what I've told you. I've never had any sores or lesions, just anxiety fueled symptoms. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
if you have pain, be seen and get it looked at.

indeed your testing was done too early. repeat it at the proper time.