Herpes Community
BOTH PARTNERS ARE INFECTED

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

BOTH PARTNERS ARE INFECTED

Partner 1 has apparently had herpes for about 20 years with no symptoms until the last year.  Partner 2 had no herpes and has been with partner 1 for approximately 1 year.  Partner 2 has recently been diagnosed with herpes 2, Partner 1 was diagnosed several months ago with herpes 1 & 2. At that time partner 2 was informed and professed not to care and wanted to continue as if there were no problem.  Now that partner 2 has been diagnosed, is there any thing else that can create a problem for the two partners.  They both had been monagomous for 41 and 31 years respectively.  They are about to enter into long term relationship and marriage.  Partner 2 has a compromised immune system due to several disease processes ( CHF, Diabetes ) and the cardiologist says absolutely not to the medication for herpes. Partner 1 is relatively healthy without any disease processes known and is not currently on any medication for herpes, but is beginning to have more symptoms since becoming more sexually active with partner 2.  Is it safe to continue with their relationship and can they give it back and forth?  
There are no contraindications for suppressive therapy with either heart disease or diabetes.

You can't pass herpes back and forth once the two people have the same type, so you don't necessarily need suppressive therapy for protection of the other partner. Suppressive or episodic therapy to prevent outbreaks  is appropriate if you want to go that route.
Out of curiosity - did partner #1 become sexually active with partner #2 prior to getting the "official" hsv1 and hsv2 diagnosis?

grace
Yes partner 1 was monagomous for 39 years of marriage.  She had symptoms at one time but was unaware what those symptoms were at the time and that was some 20 years ago.  She believes her spouse was probably infected while in the Navy in the 60's.  If not he may have had relationship(s) she wasnt aware of.  She believes becoming sexually active after several years of no sexual activity probably activated the nerves affected by herpes and she went to GYN at that time and blood test came back positive for both Herpes 1&2.  At that time she expressed her concern to her new partner and he was tested with test coming up negative.  He then said he did not want protected sex and after several months developed an infection with flu like symptoms and his primary care physician retested him with positive results.  He was put on antibiotics for secondary infection.  His primary care wanted to place him on Valtrex but cardiologist said absolutely not.  Currently they live in two different states about 3 hours apart and only see each other once a month.  Partner 2 is planning a move to be closer to Partner 1 and eventually marriage is planned.
there are no heart issues whatsoever that valtrex would affect.  No idea why the cardiologist is being stubborn.

Oh and thank you for satisfying my curiosity :)

grace
I have read that there is some risk of spreading the site of outbreak from two HSV2 positive people having unprotected sex. Example, if you have a spot of broken or irritated skin and your partner has an outbreak or is shedding then there is a risk of getting an outbreak in that area where the broken skin is. My initial outbreak 2 yrs ago was vaginal but, even tho I've been very careful, my outbreaks have spread to my anus and my butt cheek. I've never had anal sex so I assume I spread it there by wiping after going to the bathroom...and the sore on my butt cheek could've been caused by spooning naked with my BF who is also HSV pos. I just can't imagine any other way I would've gotten sores in those spots.

I'm not sure how high the risk is but there is a risk.
I've been reading about side effects and there has been some indication of hypertension and tachychardia with Valtrex. It's not a high risk but that's likely why your heart specialist warned against it.
Actually once you are infected with herpes - the virus has infected the entire nerve ganglia from the waist down. You can't spread an infection to where you already have it.  

When the virus reactivates at the base of the nerve ganglia - it can go down any nerve that it wants from there. Most folks certainly have their "Usual" places where they get ob's but you shouldn't be surprised to have ob's anywhere in the entire boxer short area as we call it.  It's nothing you did or nothing your partner did - it's just the way the virus works.

grace