Herpes Community
Blood Testing Accuracy?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Blood Testing Accuracy?

A year and a half ago, I went through months of yeast infections. Shortly after this, I had unprotected sex and a few days later experienced symptons of what I assumed to be herpes or a very severe yeast infection. I went to my doctor who took swabs of the lesions which came back negative. I switched doctors and got more swabs done (all negative) and eventually got a blood test done which came back positive for HSV-2. I never had any similar symptons after this initial episode until I had a yeast infection again when I went back on the pill a year later. A month ago, I had a messy breakup as a result of the herpes and got myself retested at planned parenthood. I got blood tested twice and twice, I came back negative for both type 1 and type 2 of herpes. I know false positives are possible and also that planned parenthood is extremely reliable, and as elated as I am, it is hard to believe that I do not have herpes. Most important to me is my own health and the sexual health of my future partners. Has anyone experienced or heard of results like these?  I guess I've always wondered if this was just a very severe yeast infection and now that seems more possible. Also, my ex-boyfriend experienced symptons of a male yeast infection during the time I thought I was having my second outbreak. All of my doctors say I can rely on the planned parenthood results and consider myself negative but I am just not sure.
do you know your initial hsv2+ blood test results?

grace
my initial hsv type 2 blood tests were positive. my initial hsv type 1 blood result was negative and has stayed that way. I do know that both my doctors and planned parenthood send their tests to Quest Diagnostic.
sorry- you probably wanted the  actual numbers.

my first test done in July 2008 : result was 1.49 for hsv2 ; and was .33 for hsv1
-the hsv1 is a clear negative. my doctor told me the hsv2 was a clear positive. but as i have done reading over the year, many studies say that 1.49 is in the range of "low positives" where most false positives occur.

my second and third test in septembe 2009 both came less than 0.9 indicating negative
the first test was a low positive and most likely was a false positive. Only about 20% of results that low are actually positive.

grace