Herpes Community
Blood test came back positive for herpes type 1, Never a sore

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I visit the doctor frequently due to yeast infections and uti's. It seems that when I have sex a lot with my BF, I get a UTI, or a yeast infection and I always pee before and after, and make sure to keep things clean. So my doc said she wanted to test for herpes just to be safe, I was tested in 2009 and all was negative. I've not had a sore in my mouth, lips, or genitals, and the test for type 1 came back positive. So I'm confused. I read that It's not an STD, but can be spread (orally to genitals, skin to skin, etc), I'm kind of freaking out. I feel dirty, and really bad. I've never had an STD in my life, and always go in if something seems abnormal "down there". What does this mean?! Can I not kiss, give oral, share lip gloss etc?! Do I need to now, let everyone know before I become 'intimate' with them? This has put me in a huge funk, I want to die. Thanks for any and all help!
most adults test + for hsv1. It's very common. Odds are your hsv1 is oral as it is for most adults.  1 out of every 2-3 people you know has hsv1. It's not something to think you want to die over!!!  we don't consider hsv1 orally to be a std either.

as an adult, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted through romantic type kisses.

should you share lip gloss? it's more of a risk for cold and flu germs than it is anything else.

should you perform unprotected oral sex? not unless you are aware of a partner's std status in general.  Before deciding to have unprotected oral sex with a long term partner, be sure to discuss std's and testing as well as herpes status and make the decision together.  this is for your protection in general, not just because you know you have hsv1!

http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info on oral herpes for more reading.

grace
also if you tend to get uti's and vaginitis a lot, look into a product called fem dophilus by jarrow. it's a probiotic that has been proven to decrease uti's and vaginal infections in females. plenty of good reading on the jarrow site about the good bacteria in it  as well as many studies on the bacteria strains in it too to read.