Herpes Community
Blood test confirmed EXPOSURE to HSV-2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Blood test confirmed EXPOSURE to HSV-2

After my usual sexual screening, one of the blood tests confirmed that I have been EXPOSED to HSV-2.  I have never had any kind of outbreak/sickness/etc. and have never had any type of positive test returned before.  I was also told that I tested negative to HSV-1 exposure/carrier.  

WHAT does being exposed to HSV-2 mean; will I develop HSV-2 at some stage or???

I am confused about this diagnosis, and have had no help from the Sexual Health Clinic here.

Thank you for your help!
Well, just generally....When a DR says you've exposed HSV2, its no different than saying you have HSV-2.

From what I've read, some people who have HSV2 have symptoms at some point and some never do.

However..you need more info...like..what type of test was used, have you had any symptoms, etc...before you can be totally sure you have it.
There is no such thing as being exposed to herpes. You either have it or you don't.  

I can best help you if you post your actual test results - ie hsv1 igg .45 and hsv2 igg .58 or whatever they are to see if you were properly tested and if you need additional confirmatory testing done.

grace
Thank you both for your replies.  I will ask for more information from the clinic as they did not give me any other information and it is very frustrating!  
Hi, Grace.

I had a Dr. also say the same thing-- I've been "exposed" to HSV-2. My fist score came in at 1.84 and then I went to another Dr. who said I came in at 2.07 with the second test. I've never noticed any symptoms and have no idea how to handle this news...especially because I'm at the start of a new relationship and want to know what I need to tell this person. Both tests were the HerpesSelect IgG tests...

I've been reading everything I can and understand that asymtomatic shedding is probably happening if I am indeed positive and my results weren't false-positives. However...what are my chances of passing it to him??? Do I need to say anything at all?????

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this!
indeed you do need to talk to him about this. Let him know that you are going thru testing and don't have final results yet. He should also get tested. Wouldn't it suck if you ended up testing negative for hsv2 and he had it didn't know it and you ended up with it because you didn't ask him to go for std testing to find out his own status?

You'll need a herpes WB to confirm your hsv2 status at this point.

grace
I had sex 4 days prior to getting teste all the Tests came back Negative, but the HSV stated that I had been Exposed to the virus based on antibodies present. My question is this, would antibodies show up within 4 days. The test also stated it was determined if it was type 1 or 2. What does this mean for me?  
Hi Grace,
I too was told that I was exposed to hsv2 I was not given any other info. My first issue is that I was sulibet for 7yrs prior to meeting my current husband. We have been together almost 5 yrs and I am dilligent with check ups and health issues. Which leeds to my second issue, I was dx with M.S. in 2006 so I already have a host of health problems. Seems like I have had systoms for everything (lol) and everytime I walk in to a hospital I walk out with a new oligest of some type. Never systems related to HSV 1 or 2 I have never even had a cold sore. When I attempted to question my family Dr about this she told me it was likely from my past, that this can show up 10+ years later???? I think my current husband has cheated on me, I have other reasons for that, but I was told there is no way to know. My husband refusses to be tested, I believe he thinks I wont leave him, that somehow this bonds us.   .....WRONG.... moving far away in June. I feel like I am being mislead 10+ yrs????