Herpes Community
Boyfriend with herpes - can i catch it?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Boyfriend with herpes - can i catch it?

I just found out that my boyfriend has herpes. He has not had any outbreaks while we have been together at all. I am more concerned if I can catch herpes from him from just kissing him, because he does have the virus. Also, even if he has no outbreaks can I catch herpes from him if we have oral sex? Additionally, should I be concerned that he could pass herpes onto my future children with him, just by kissing them, even with no outbreak?

I plan on getting tested to see if I have been exposed to the virus in the past. What do you suggest if i do come out positive for the virus, or if I come out negative?

Thank you for you advice!
He has oral herpes- hsv1.
Does he have oral herpes, genital herpes, or both?  What type does he have - 1 or 2?  These are questions you need to ask him.  He can take a type specific IgG blood test to find out, and we can go into your questions more when you find out.

In the meantime, read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com .

Aj
Being that he has HSV1  - Can I still catch herpes from him if he is asymptomatic? Also can anyone catch it if he kisses them?
Most adults have hsv1, it's incredibly common.  STatistically 1 out of every 2-3 people you've ever known have hsv1. It really is THAT common in the US.  

Once you get your own test results back you'll have a better idea how to handle all of this in your relationship.

grace

I just received my test results back and found out that i do not have HSV1 or 2. Can you please give me any advice on what I should do, now that I know that my boyfriend is positive for HSV1? How carefull should I be with him kissing me on a  daily basis and with oral sex?

Thanks!
Knowing how many people in this country have HSV 1 it should tell you that you have a pretty good chance of getting HSV 1 from your positive partner at some point in the future.  It spreads EASILY!  You can try to avoid kissing and oral sex during break outs to lessen the chance of getting it yourself, but you can still be exposed to HSV when no symptoms are present.  Yes, you can can get HSV 1 in your genital area from oral sex!  However, if you test positive for HSV 1 and get cold sores the chances are likely that's where it will continue to show up.
I'm happy you did not test Positive for either one. God bless for that. My sister has herpes and she has not had an outbreak in 5 years and when she did it was one blister... 3 months ago he tested positive. I know for a fact it can be transmitted, plus I have never had no outbreaks or symptoms and according to the doctor yesterday I tested positive for both HSV 1 and 2. He to my knowledge never had any symptoms either and I was clean May 2008. Doctor said I've had it for greater than 6 months. I would just be very careful and research as much information as you can. It is possible. Also, to me it's devastating, but farely common now a days. I'm not trying to scare you at all, just sharing my experience. I have a lot of unanswered questions my self. Good luck to you and God Bless.
Yes, in principle it it possible to catch Herpes from going to
the toilet, but it is highly unlikely. The type of Herpes you are
worried about is probably Genital Herpes caused by the virus Herpes Simplex 2. This virus lives in the body and does not survive for
long on surfaces, towels, drinks etc. Basically you have to be
sitting on a toilet seat immediately after someone who has Herpes
Simplex in outbreak sat on it and managed to smear a large amount
of virus on the seat. You will then have to have rubbed either
your genitals, anus or an open cut on your bottom or thighs on
the toilet seat to catch the virus but even in an unlikely scenario
like this, the chances of catching Herpes are very slim. You do not
have to worry about catching Herpes from going to the toilet.
If you Have Genital Herpes Take Precautions

If you have Genital Herpes, you should be careful around the
outbreak period:

* Avoid sexual activity
    * Take antiviral treatment
    * Avoid touching the affected area
    * Wash your hands regularly

Herpes Simplex 2 stays in your body once you've caught it. Even if
you don't have frequent outbreaks, you risk spreading it because
of the viral shedding period.