Herpes Community
Buttocks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Buttocks

1.  If a person has herpes and only has OB's on the buttocks, can the virus be spread to a partner if no physical contact is made with that part of the body.
2.  If this same person is having an OB and has a sore on the butt, can the virus be sheading on other parts of the body (vagina/penis) at the same time without having a sore present on that body part or do sores always appear where the virus is active?  In other words, how does a person know exactly where the virus is sheading when you're having an OB?
3.  Is it abnormal for an OB to last for 2 months with no blistering and slowly fade away without a sore after trauma to that specific area?...falling on your butt...lol...
1. Yes. even if you have OBs on your buttocks, you can still spread the virus with vaginal/penis sex.
2. Yes, the virus can be shedding from other parts of the body. You can't tell where exactly you are shedding from.
3. Yes, that is abnormal but not impossible. This is a very tricky, unpredictable virus that affects some people in different ways than others.
Just to add a few more details to verysaddude's reply.

Even though ob's are on the buttocks, the virus is shedding both from the active lesions as well as from the entire anogenital area ( or parts of it ) with ob's. In between obvious lesions, the  virus periodically sheds from the anogenital area too. The skin on the buttocks ( and thighs ) is too thick for the virus to penetrate to the skin to shed from without an obvious lesion present.  

Also ob's on the buttocks take longer to heal the skin than ob's on the softer genital mucosa.  after about a week ( if you treated the ob ), odds are you aren't shedding from that area any more but it'll take a few more weeks to heal enough so that the skin will return back to normal.

keep asking questions as you have them :)

grace
How likely is the virus to spread, if a person is having an OB on the butt, from one partner to the other if he/she touches the person's penis/vagina with his/her hands and then masterbates his/herself.  (Can the virus be spread with the hand even if there's no OB on the penis/vagina?)  How likely is it for that person to get herpes on the hand?

Also, exactly what do you mean "if you treated the OB?"
If you take herpes antivirals it shortens the duration of viral shedding compared to not taking any herpes antivirals when you have an ob.

it's very low risk of transmitting the virus to the uninfected partner thru mutual masturbation.  

grace
Thanks verysaddude and Grace...you guys are great!
Can you get HSV 2 orally?
Can you have HSV 1 and HSV 2 orally and genitaly?
Do OB's always blister?
Do you always have tingling and or discomfort or some other sign before an OB?
Do Chron's and Herpes OB's look the same?
Can antiviral medicines actually make the condition worse?

Sorry for all the questions, but just want to educate myself about this virus.
I am having similiar symptoms....How long have you had them?  I occassionally see leison/bruises on my thigh but no blister.  I am waiting on test results to see if I got it or not. I believe a had an outbreak all over my buttocks and groin, but not on my penis. Still not sure what I got it, but it's been almost 3 months but it starting to clear up.
It has been a very long time (*20 + years).  I've never really had any issues with it though. Not until recently have I had OB's and it has only been very mild on the butt.  I actually thought it was a spider bite the first time, but it came back a few months later. Because it was only one bump and looked just like a spider bite; I think it was an OB.    I've never actually been tested and not sure what I have.  My husband and I have had sex while I've had an OB (I think)  on the butt and it never was a problem.  He actually gave me the virus a very long time ago so we've never had issues with it.  I'm going to get tested just so I know if its HSV  1 OR 2... My doctor that diagnosed me actually died of HIV many years ago (he delivered my first child) and I'm more concerned about being exposed to that than HSV.  Geeeeezzz.,.. you have to be very careful of who you come into contact with; even in the medical field.
HSV 1 IgG Type Spec <0.91
HSV 2 IgG Type Spec 3.64

I had Mono, pneumonia, and questionable Legionnaire's disease and was hospitalized in 1989.  Could Mono or Legionnaire's cause a positive HSV test result?

Does Crohn's Disease cause the same symptoms as Herpes?

Please delete all my posts except this one. Thank You.
it's a low positive and it's up to you if you want to confirm it or not. did hubby ever get tested for herpes?

grace
No, he never was tested.  Should I get Igg type specific again or Western Blot.  Do clincis have the Western Blot or do I need to order it?  
at this point I recommend hubby gets tested. If he's also hsv2+, I wouldn't even bother repeating your blood test.

grace
I copied the following from a previous post from you:  (The skin on the buttocks ( and thighs ) is too thick for the virus to penetrate to the skin to shed from without an obvious lesion present.)  

Can I assume from the above statement that NO viral shedding is taking place on the butt or thighs or anywhere else if there is no OB on the thicker skin areas if that's the only area of the OB?

that's what we assume from what we know now from research.

grace
THANK YOU!  I finally think I understand!  This is very good news!  Thank You Grace!
Grace,
I can't believe this!  No OB for a long time.  On daily suppressive medication ( Valtrex) for almost 1 year, used condom, and no sign or symptom of OB at the time. First time with my partner. Yet, 36 hours LATER I had a mild OB on the butt.  Is it likely that intercourse triggered an OB?  How likely is he to get HSV?
Bump
Grace,

I know the stats show that if you use condoms, suppressive therapy (valtrex), and no sexual activity during obvious outbreaks that it will reduce the rate of transmission to 1%.  Have you ever heard from ANYONE in that 1% category who acutally transmitted HSV even after using ALL precautions?

(I hope I posted this question in the correct place this time.)
No need to bump.  Your post was still on the first page.  

Chances are low you had anything going on during the sex.  It could have been anything as the cause of the outbreak.  

If he gets symptoms have him seen in 24-48 hours after apprence for proper lesison culture and evaluation.
Thanks mistakeguy.  I appreciate  your response.  I know Grace has read so many posts and has a lot of knowledge that I'd like her opinion on this too.  The reason I even ask is because I read on the doctors' forum that they've NEVER had a "reported" case of transmission occurring when ALL precautions were used.  And I was wondering if Grace had ever had a "reported' case.

I'm just worried that viral shedding was taking place and I didn't know it.  Also, if viral shedding was taking place with no OB and we used a condom and suppressive therapy how likely would it be that transmission occurred...I know...1%...aaahhh this is crazy!

Sorry to be rambling...I'm just so worried!
yes there have been some folks on the boards who are using all precautions and still transmit to their partners. it even happened during the valtrex study and is documented there. the odds of it happening are very low but tt can, and does, still happen.

at this point no way to know if you were going to get an ob anyways or if sex triggered the ob. Honestly if this is your regular partner, I wouldn't even bother with testing of them unless they develop symptoms.

grace
I have Herpes but i have no OB on my vaginal area, although i do have some pimples on my buttocks which might be from the Herpes.. If i have no OB on my vagina and someone gives me oral can they still contract the diasease ?
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers