Herpes Expert Forum
Can Acyclovir Cause High Blood Pressure

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Can Acyclovir Cause High Blood Pressure
I have been on acyclovir (400mg) twice daily for the past 6 months.  Prior to that I was taking Valtrex (500 mg) once daily for 18 months.  For the past few months I have noticed that my blood pressure is elevated (140s-160s sys over 80s-90s dia).  Could the use of acyclovir be causing this?

Any insight is appreciated.  

As I read, you have been taken antivirals for 24 moths. Did you have a break? If not, you may have experiencing a toxic reaction. Check with your doctor and find out what is your Creatinine Clearance. Excessive doses may alter electrolyte imbalance in your body and it may produce renal failure. Your kidneys control your blood pressure, you dont want to end on Dialysis.
TO SONY 69:  Your advice is incorrect.  There is no toxicity from this class of medicine, it does not produce renal failure.  However, people who have kidney disease may need an adjustment in their dose.

TO SAT517:  This drug is not causing your hypertension.  I would encourage your provider and you to seek out other reasons for your slight hypertension, and also appropriate medication and/or exercise and weight loss (if appropriate).  If you have no kidney disease, you need no dose adjustment.

Terri
Thanks Terri,

Just for clarification, am I reading correctly that the comment by Sony69 is incorrect and this drug does not cause renal failure?  I have never had kidney problems of any kind that I am aware of.

Also, with respect to the hypertinsion issue, I am 46 and you are correct that I do need to loose weight, about 20 or 25 lbs.  Also, I do have  a family history of heart disease.  My father had a heart attack, high blood pressure congestive heart failure etc.  Two siblings are currently on meds for blood pressure as well.  

If acyclovir does not contribute to hypertension then my family history may be playing a role.  I have an appointment to see a cardiologist.