Herpes Community
Can Chickenpox cause a False Positive

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Can Chickenpox cause a False Positive

I was recently tested using the HerpeSelect test and came back positive for HSV1 (I already get cold sores on my face occasionally) and for HSV2.  I had the test done as I went to my OB/GYN because I had a lot of itchiness in my genital area.

The following week, I got two blisters surrounded by red on my legs...then two days later, I tons of them all over my legs along with a low grade fever.  I then went back to the Dr. and they told me I had chicken pox!

Is it possible to have the HerpeSelect give a false positive due to this?

Thank you
I take it you never had chicken pox as a child? If you did this could be Shingles.
If you can get a copy of your blood test results and post them here I can better help you with them.

Did they just visually diagnose you as chicken pox or did they do testing on the lesions you have?

grace
Do Chickens get People Pox? hmmmmm
"Can Chicken Pox [antibodies] cause a false postive for Herpes?"

August 1975, I was adopted from Korea.  When I came over I had all kinds of bumps on my head - I've been told that these were strep or staff infections.  Two or three remain to this day - one at the base of the skull (that I occassionally pop - it reacts much like a zit).  I do not believe that I was tested for neo-natal Herpes infection.

March 2007, I got tested for sexually transmitted diseases (my health care provided did NOT included Herpes as one of the things they tested for).  Everything came back A-OK, except that I was missing antibodies for Chicken Pox.  The testing was done by Labcorp.

March/April 2007, I got vaccinated for Chicken Pox.

February/March 2008, I went back for another round of STD checks.  This time my new health care provider included Herpes amongst the STDs they check for.  The  testing was done by Labcorp.  Everything came back A-OK, except for a positive result for Herpes 2 (from what I've read and what I saw on my report - they didn't test for HSV 1).  Here are my results:

HSV 2 - Type Specific
HSV 2 Ab, IgG  1.32     1.10 Positive

I have never had an outbreak where I felt discomfort, itching, redness or blisters in any location (base of spine/genitalia or ear/face) that HSV typically resides - unless those staff infections ... [but wouldn't they have registered a higher index?].

Rotten
I would retest if I were you.  That's REALLY close to the cut off line, and you really should be tested for hsv1 as well.

I can tell you that this has nothing to do with chicken pox vaccines or whatever.  It is just really close, and I'd want a confirmation before I started taking meds or anything,

AJ
I advised you simiarly as AJ over on the webmd herpes board too rottenmitch.

grace