Herpes Community
Can HSV-1 outbreak cause sore throat?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can HSV-1 outbreak cause sore throat?

Hi,
I am a 35 years old male. A year ago I kissed a girl who had relationships with at least 5 guys before me. Two days later I had a sore throat, then a cold sore. I recently did an STD test for common STDs with Labcorp, Only HSV-1 came positive (IgG = 3.0). I remember noticing a cold sore once or twice during the year, but never had pain or serious symptoms. I recently had flu like symptoms (sore throat, headache, fatigue) that my doctor attributed to common cold. Doctor prescribed Amoxicillin for 10 days. Took the whole course, but it didn't help. last week, my lower lip started tingling. I applied Abreva and I was instantly relieved. Also, my other symptoms started to wear off.
The question is: are sore throat/Fatigue usual symptoms for Oral HPV-1 outbreaks?

Thanks,
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
you had oral herpes prior to this partner. it wouldn't be causing you to have a sore throat now.

grace
Blank
Dear Grace,

Thank you for the being the angel of this forum. My problem is that I really lacked the basic education about many STDs. Until a year ago, an incurable STD meant HIV. Herpes was a foreign topic to me.
I did a lot of research in this forum and I kinda learned from your posts and those of Dr. HHH. I noticed that sore throat are  common symptoms during the initial outbreak which explains the symptoms I had a year ago. Also, my symptoms now are even stronger than before. This time I felt dizziness with a powerful chills without fever from top to bottom, cold and a sore throat. So I take it from your experience, that I should rule out Oral HSV-1 outbreak as the cause of this symptoms and trust my doctor's diagnostic (though that doesn't explain why Amoxicillin didn't help and why I felt better after applying Abreva?)
I understand that my GP should be my trusted reference. But, my worries is that he sees a lot of flu/common cold cases, so he diagnoses every symptom as flu related.
Blank
897535_tn?1295210035
Oral herpes is not considered an STD. Only when oral sex comes into play (oral to genital transmission of herpes) is it considered an STD.

Most likely symptoms such as the ones you've had are in fact cold/flu related. As grace stated, flu-like symptoms are common with a primary herpes outbreak, but not common with subsequent ones. As to the amoxicillin not working, most cold/flu symptoms are viral, which an antibiotic will do nothing for.

In a nutshell, go with what grace stated - your symptoms aren't related to your known oral herpes infection.
Blank
so your saying that if two person has oral sex when the symptom is inactive they can still catch herpes type 1?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...