Herpes Community
Can Herpes Behave This Way?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Can Herpes Behave This Way?

Can Herpes present itself as just redness and soreness on the penis glans (glands) for 3 months with no sores? For roughly 3 months i have had redness and sensitivity/pain on the tip of my penis and just below it. Antifungals, antibiotics, cortisone have not helped. The symptoms are constant and have never gone away and come back. Can genital herpes act this way? There have never been anything remotely resembling sores, blisters, or lesions. Just slight redness on top of penis tip near urethra and pain/sensitivity in penis head constantly. Masturbation makes the penis tip very red and extra sensitive. Tests negative for ngu or uti. Have seen urologists and dermatologist who say it is not herpes, just wondering if there is any possibility it is?
herpes symptoms would not linger like this for 3 months.

grace
Hi Grace thank you for responding,
So does that mean it definitely could not be herpes? Besides the fact that it has been constant for 3 months could these symptoms signify herpes without lesions? Also, if not, do you have any idea what could cause these symptoms and be resistant to antibiotics and antifungals? None of the doctors I have seen have been able to tell me what it is other than that it is not herpes. I am planning on seeing my dermatologist again but I am currently away at school and can not go until next week and I am really just looking for peace of mind on this not being herpes from someone who knows a lot about it which from your posts seems to be you.
you'd have clear periods of no symptoms at all with herpes. most likely weeks at a time in between recurrences at a minimum.  

most likely a fungal infection or even just irritation is the cause of this. do you use a good sex lube when you masturbate?  do you use a mild soap in the shower like dove?
A few weeks ago I switched to dove hypoallergenic soap as well as tide free and clear detergent. I also wear 100% cotton boxers. The doctors had thought it may be an irritant too. I dont generally use lube for sex or masturbation however the symptoms are only worsened by these activities not caused by it. If it is a fungal infection is it possible for it to have survived the diflucan i took a couple weeks back?
Also, just curious, I know it is common to have no symptoms at all with genital herpes but is it common to have some symptoms (like mine) with no lesions?
It could be herpes 1, which tends to present itself as redness, sensitivity, soreness, etc. rather than blisters like type 2. It's what happens with me. You need to get a blood test IGG for HSV1 and 2.
Are your symptoms constant or do they come in outbreaks? And if in outbreaks how long do they last?
I'm going to totally disagree with what sandycay wrote. Typically hsv1 genitally presents with very obvious genital symptoms since it's acquired when you don't have a previous herpes infection in your body so you almost always get a very 'classic' initial ob.  

use a good sex lube when you masturbate. you might be making things worse by continuing to not do so. when the delicate genital skin becomes irritated, it's often very sensitive for a long time and doesn't take much to make a bad thing worse. make sense?
   I've been in a 10 month struggle with the exact same symptoms.  I've have 3 negative IGG blood tests, and have been told by my GP, dermatologist, and my urologist that it is not herpes.  My derm even went as far as to say that she is 100% sure it is not herpes.  The redness, pain and irritation NEVER go away, despite using every Rx cream known to exist.  Despite the negative tests and doctor exams I still have a ton of anxiety of having possibly contracted this virus.  I now get counseling for this anxiety, but its really hard to move past it when these symptoms never go away. Our symptoms arent even really "classic" herpes symptoms, and thats what makes it tough.  All you can really do is rely of those who have the experience in dealing with this and trust the testing process. Its not perfect, but its accurate. Even to this day I'm not totally confident that I dont have it, but I'm trying not to let it rule my life. I know its really tough, but hang in there.  Sometimes these things take time, and do your best and try not to obsess.  Take it from someone who has let it wreck their life.
Well my dermatologist has suggested I have a biopsy done to know for sure whats going on, she seems to strongly believe it is psoriatic which would explain why it can not be cured. I believe I am having this done saturday. I'll post and let you know what i learn.

Grace, what you said does make sense in fact a urologist told me the same thing. I am hoping it is that simple, you've really helped to relieve some of my stress about it being herpes.
Just a couple more things, just want a final statement on how sure you are that this is not herpes just based off what you know from this thread? And also would a penile biopsy show whether or not herpes was present?
I find out the results of my biopsy tomorrow..
a biopsy would show some changes in skin consistent with herpes if it was herpes. It can also show changes like that when it's not herpes too unfortunately. biopsy's are helpful for showing irritation and skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
But generally based on what you have heard you believe pretty strongly this is not herpes? (I know you can not diagnose officially but your opinion is important on the matter.) All the doctors I saw were very confident it was not based on observation and said they were sure what I have isn't contagious and even OK'd me for sex. I am hoping it is just dermatological.
already said it doesn't sound like herpes going on.
Ok thanks so much for your input.