Herpes Community
Can Herpes Spread to other Parts of the body?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I've had the virus for some years now and i'm still trying to get a handle on it.  I know this may sound crazy, but is it possible for herpes to spread to other parts of your body?  When I first contracted the virus, it was typically in the vaginal area.  I've always gotten cold sores in the past, but I think now it may be more.  When ever I get stressed or upset, i've noticed that my mouth breaks out more so now than the vaginal area.  Recently, i've been experiencing some itching around my nipple area on my breast... I've never heard of this happening before, nor have I ever had this problem, but I am growing concerned because it has not stopped and as I got a closer look at it, it appears to look like some sort of blister, resembling what most outbreaks look like.  This is really beginning to freak me out.  Could you please shed a little light on this situation for me.  

Thank you
Its very hard to spread it to other places on your body once you have antibodies.  Lots of things can happen on the nipples, including allergic reactions, dermatitis, etc., and you should see your doctor for this.  He/she can easily culture the area to find out what it is.

Aj
Thank you for responding back to me.  Ever since I've found out I had the virus, I've been hearing that is can spread to the anal area, mouth and eyes.. So now when I bathe, I am always scared that it can spread to other places.  It's already hard enough having to deal with it on two major area's of my body... I don't think I could handle it spreading to other places.  I'll make an appoointment with my doctor and see if it's an allergic reaction to something else.  Thank you so much for responding back!!!!  You have been a big help!!!
You are worrying way too much about this. Just the usual common sense precautions of if you touch your genital area then wash your hands ( the same everyone does whether they have genital herpes or not ) is all it takes.  You won't spread it to the anal area either - it's already there in that nerve group.

grace
From what I understand, herpes is usually spread to areas with mucuous membranes and a moist environment - the genitals or the eyes.  Obviously if you are having an outbreak and touch a lesion, its very important to wash your hands before touching your eyes.  The virus does not thrive for long on a dry surface such as a toilet seat.   As you mentioned, most people with the herpes virus have outbreaks in their mouth or genitals, not areas of their bodies like their knees or breasts.   Another strain of herpes - zoster or shingles - does erupt on the body, but that's not what you are describing.   Don't worry so much and just continue with proper hygiene and precautions.
Thank you all!!  I just get freaked out when something new pops up that resembles a herpes sore.  I'll try not to worry about it and continue with what i've been doing.

Thanks again....
It's very easy to become overreactive about things I do it myself all the time lol only last night my finger swelled up and had a red blister on it and very painful first thought was Herpes ( it HAS to be lol ) then later on i remembered a staple slightly jabbing me at work in the morning but because it didn't hurt much at the time I never thought anymore about it so when it got all sore in the evening my first thought wasn't what happened at work, I think for people who have HSV it's just natural to get a bit freaky with stuff that would otherwise not have caused any reaction at all prior to becoming infected with the virus,there are so many everyday things that cause very similar reactions on the skin as Herpes  ......

Daisy
I would like to if in the case of someone contracting Herpes HSV2 in a non sexual way, in the virus entered thru  the skin in the higher abdomen area, can still pass it on sexualy.  In other word, will there be shedding in the sperm or only around the initial area of infection?  I know this is a very weird case but can someone give me an answer? What are the odds of transmiting it?
I found out i have Herpes this year. For the past two years i got this spot on my butt cheek that looked like a Mosquito bite in the same place every time. Only this year it turned into a strange looking cluster of  blisters. I went to see my doctor and it was tested.  It came back as Herpes. I'm a little confused because i never heard of getting Herpes on your butt cheek. How could one get Herpes on there butt cheek???
I also have had an out break on my butt cheeks, this might sound kind of nasty or odd but I know I got it there by my partner who didn't wear a condom (not knowing he had the virus), and we used the pull out method, and his infected "area" touched my butt. Being hot and sweaty at the time can cause the virus to make its home any where in a sense.
I had this virus for several yrs now. The person I slept with that had it never told me he had it... I have gotten it on my inner butt cheek and it really hurt for the first time.. So I went to the doctors.. I haven't had an outbreak n a long time. But now my mouth is hurting really bad and it looks like a blister, my cheek is swollen and I can't eat. Is it herps or am I trippn??
This is a terrible decease...and I don't think the cure will be made in the USA.....they are not interested in a cure, but the treatment...
Can someone spread herpes without having an outbreak to another person
Yes, if you research more, you will learn that herpes can spread by contact without a breakout. You can get it in your mouth, back of throat (my girlfriend had that happen to her) . She bought a book and brought it to my house. It contained all areas of the body it can spread to. Even your finger. My husband and I both have it. He has down below and he brakes out frequntly. He has horrible outbreaks on the bottom of his chin and on top of the pubic area.  I have mine in my mouth, back of throat and below. I'm trying to be honest here and have educated listened to people's stories. My partner did not tell me had Herpes and when my symptoms started it was itching . All red. I thought I had my first yeast infection. Then all these sores erupted and I could not even urinate because the pain was intense. Went to my obgyn and of course she looked at it and told me she was sure it was Heroes and we drew blood and the blood test confirmed that it was in fact , Herpes. As ou can imagine I was devastated . But the book I read was very detailed and many pictures of people that infact had the herpes in all these different areas of the body that you would not expect. Then you don't stop at one book. Read more. It is very contagious . You shed with herpes and do not know when you are shedding . You can be perfectly clean and have it in your mind you wii not transmit this disease . Infact you can. Be careful. I'm still devasted by all this and worry that it 2 might pop up somewhere else
my concerns are same aa original question
can the water in the bath contaminate my face eye etc if the water.splashed in my face..if no blisters are present but maybe viral shedding?
I understand your problem.. I had a bad outbreak in the genital area and while I slept I would scratch... and now my hands have blisters and an itching feeling like an outbreak... so is it possible I did spread it to my hands? Because if so I have to be highly aware
Hi, I am reading this because I was diagnosed with HSV2 this year and I'm only 21. I had a horrible time with my first outbreak and couldn't even walk for a while. I am now experiencing my second outbreak and I believe your right it can spread to your fingers. I have a blister in the corner of my mouth and I wiped my mouth with my hand and am now having tiny under the skin blisters appear despite my frequent usage of hand san.  
I have it on my leg in several locations and my butt cheek. The sores are about 3" in diameter ( yes large). It is type 2.  My boyfriend has it on his back, side of his hip, and not at all in his genital area. The doctors don't really know... They said it was impossible but then the test results proved them wrong. Treat it like poison ivy. It's contagious. Keep it clean and covered with something that won't rub the puss or fluids around to other areas.

Just a word of advice... I've had this 24 yrs and every doctor has said "but I thought that was impossible..." You know you best.