Herpes Community
Can a history of autoimmune diseases cause a false-positive HSV2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have a long history of ailments, most of which I believe are autoimmune-related. No doctor has ever connected the dots between them. I've been treated individually for most, while others seem to have disappeared on their own.

Multiple Sclerosis - diagnosed in 1990. Identified by MRIs, spinal tap, loss of mobility and countless other tests. Within a few months, all symptoms were gone and MRI was clear (previous one clearly showed massive highlighted area of sclerosis). I considered it a miracle, neurologist changed diagnosis to "unisclerosis."  About a year later seemed to have a brief recurrence of symptoms (numb/tingling left side) but nothing as severe as first epsidoe in which I had to walk with a came, had slurred speech, etc.

Hypothyroid - mid-1990s. Had racing heart at slightest bit of activity, was an active runner so this was sudden and odd. Treated with radioactive iodine, no subsequent issues with thise.

Pre-diabetic - After above got lazy and was pre-diabetic by late 1990s-early 2000. Got serious with diet & exercise, this is no longer an issue.

Somewhere in all of this I began getting unexplained skin lesions/ulcers/infections on one foot, but mainly on my fingers. This lasted about 18 months. Would start as a small bump or pimple, itch, then burst. As the bumps burst the fluid seemed to "eat away" my skin. Dermatologist never could really give it a name and initial topical treatments failed. The one on my foot was deemed to be staph infection but no diagnosis on the hands. Topicort eventually helped. Haven't had a full recurrence in years but sometimes I feel the itch, but fortunately it has gone away.

I know this is long so I will stop now. These are the major events but there have been small curiosities as well. I ABSOLUTELY believe there is something going on in my body that connects all of these, but the doctors poo-poo it. I've always tested negative on a full-STD panel but the last one was 3 years ago when I entered a committed relationship.

My IgG was a frighteningly high 4.53. HSV1 was 1 or less, so negative there. I'm awaiting the results of a Western Blot taken today but terrified it will confirm HSV2. So, is it at all possible that a history of autoimmune diseases cause a false-positive HSV2?
By the way, I am not exhibiting symptoms. I got tested as part of my annual Gyno exam and was completely thrown by this diagnosis.
Sorry..also forgot to mention I have bacterial vaginosis. Could that affect the test(s) in anyway.
i don't think that it would affect the test. the western blot should give you more answers. let us know your results when you get them.
no, having bv will not affect blood tests for herpes.

your hsv2 igg isn't 'frighteningly high' either, it's just positive and not anywhere near as high as a typical true positive can be actually. The actual numeric result of your hsv2 igg is actually fairly meaningless other than confirming your status with additional testing if it's under 5 and you haven't had a lesion culture to confirm your status.

following up with the WB is the best thing to do. It will be weeks until you get your results back but be sure to stop back and update your post with the results so others can see :)

best of luck!!!

grace
Grace, thanks for the response and comforting info. From my frantic initial research I was thinking that was "frighteningly high" because I'd been reading that false positives tend to only happen when the igg is 3.5 or less, and anything over that is most certainly positive.

I will keep everyone posted on the WB results. Thanks for now!