Herpes Community
Can bacterial vaginosis be mistaken for herpes?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can bacterial vaginosis be mistaken for herpes?

Over the past month I have been having intense itching in my vaginal area especially after sex. Over the weekend the itching was so intense that I rubbed myself raw and created an ulcerated lesion on my labia from it.  I went to my gyno yesterday for a checkup and to my surprise when he saw the lesion on my labia he told me I had herpes.  I have been with my partner for over 5 years and we are monogamous. I am also an egg donor and have donated 3x in the last year (last one was 3 mos ago) and each time I donate I am tested for any STDs including herpes (according to fertility nurse).  My gyno also noted that I had alot of white discharge and that I might have an overgrowth of yeast/ bacteria also.  I tried to explain to the dr that the lesion on my labia was self-inflicted (I know this bc I check myself down there everyday and the day that I was itching so bad is when I noticed it), but he insisted it was herpes.  A culture and blood test was done and I am now waiting for the results.  My husband is in medical school and does not beleive it is herpes but bacterial vaginosis due to the discharge.  I just wanted to know how I could possibly have herpes if I was tested 3 months ago and it was negative!