Herpes Community
Can herpes be contracted by saliva or sharing drinks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

A cousin is living with me and my family. She was currently diagnosed with genital herpes. She has not yet confirmed by lab tests if it's HSV-1 or HSV-2 (although from the looks and symptoms are leaning towards HSV-2). She has all the text books symptoms and has genital lesions. She's also complaining of severe pain in her throat, when eating or even drinking. She also mentioned that she may have a sore inside her cheek area. I have two young children, one is a 3yo and the other a 7mo. My 3yo especially likes to drink or share her food, and from time to time would just drink out of another persons drink when at home.  My concern is if my children will be able to contract the virus through saliva, being kissed or sharing drinks or food with the herpes carrier. I'm just searching for any precautions that i should be aware of.

Thanks in advance!
genital herpes is transmitted through naked, intimate contact with someone's genital area.

anytime someone is sick, they should never share food or drinks with others, especially not children nor should they kiss them. if she has a sore throat, regardless of the cause, she should not be engaging in these sharing activities.

grace

Thanks for your comment, but it doesn't really answer my question. I am aware that genital herpes HSV-2 is a sexually transmitted virus. Now, if a person had given oral pleasure to the same person that had given he/she HSV-2, can it also be contracted in the mouth? If yes, can it be spread through saliva and/or sharing food or beverages...? My 3yo is a very spunky and free spirited little girl. There are times when my cousin is in the house and leaves food or beverages out on a table, and my 3yo will serve herself. I myself is aware that sharing while you're sick should be prohibited. My husband and I know that for ourselves, and don't engage in sharing activities or kissing with our children when we are ill. Now, in my cousins case, she's not one to really be very religious with things like that. Slips her mind I guess.  

you can get hsv2 orally but it doesn't happen often. when it does, it rarely sheds so it's very unlikely you'd transmit it in general. oral herpes is typically transmitted through romantic type kisses. small children and infants are at a higher risk of contracting oral herpes from someone through less passionate kisses and potentially sharing drinks but the risk of that even is fairly small.

bottom line is - your cousin isn't any more of a risk to your children than any other adult they are around is. statistically 1 out of every 2-3 of the adults around them have hsv1 orally which sheds far more frequently and is far more of a potential issue than your cousin's situation would ever be.