Herpes Community
Can herpes be transmitted through blood

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Can herpes be transmitted through blood

Hi, I have hsv2 and cos I always have close contact with my friend with teasing around just wondering if I could be spread through sweat or something. Let's say even if my hands are clean but due to the over-washing of hands, I often have dry skin and I am always afraid of self infection when I wash my genital areas when bathing. And today, I had a little cut on my finger and my friend brushed through my hand (with the cut) for two times. Is there any risk? Please advise thanks.
we call it a sexually transmitted infection because it takes that sort of naked and intimate contact to transmit it. You won't transmit it someone you aren't having sex with. it's not transmitted through sweat. It's not blood borne either so not an issue with donating blood or someone getting your blood on them.  

grace
Thanks for the info. Sorry but the doctor wee told me that the virus is in the blood and I ever came across a herpes infection in the Internet that states that it could be transmitted through sweat especially in gyms or close contact like martial arts and wrestling? Btw with my hand condition will it transmit if I wash my genital areas?
contact sports can transmit herpes - it's from the direct skin on skin contact with herpes, not from sweat.  typically it's hsv1 from mouths coming in contact with other body parts.  

no, herpes is not blood borne.  whatever doctor told you otherwise, was wrong.