Herpes Community
Can it be an allergic reaction?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Can it be an allergic reaction?

I recently met a guy, and had protected sex with him once. 2 days after that night, my vagina was very swollen and i saw white thickish discharge so thought yeast infection. I went to buy the generic 7-day Miconazole Nitrate OTC medication. About half way through the treatment I noticed white-ish painful bumps on my vagina and like painful cuts that made it extremely painful to walk and sit. On the 7th day, the swelling/pain had gone down but i still had the bumps & cuts alongside swollen lymph nodes in my hips so I went to my university nurse practitioner and she visually diagnosed it as Herpes. Both HSV 1 & 2 tests came up negative, but she said that it just looked like herpes and she suspects the virus is just so new to my body that it doesn't come up on blood tests yet, and I am going to get re-tested in 2 months.
I know it all the symptoms points to being Herpes, but I am not handling it very well, I want to believe its not at least for the next 2 months. Is it possible that it could be something else? I've been reading that allergic reactions may cause blistering, I have no idea what kind of condom he used and I cannot find it online, could it be a delayed allergic reaction of his condom if it had spermicide?
Or maybe I really did have a yeast infection, but I was allergic to the Miconazole? The first or second day my body completely rejected it (when i used the bathroom the next morning all the cream ended up in the toilet). On about the third day of the medication when I pulled out the injector there was blood on it but I kind of just ignored it.
Tags: Herpes, Allergies, STD, Pain, test, misdiagnosis, impatient
what testing did you have done for herpes?

grace
I had the blood tests done. Looking for antibodies
it's unfortunate that the practitioner didn't also do a lesion culture of symptoms too. If this was a newly acquired infection, it was too early for it to be reflected in blood testing.

are you still with this partner?