Herpes Community
Can you be asymptomatic for both hsv1 and hsv2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help on this one. I am a sexually active 27yo male. I always use protection when I have sex, however I have had many sexual partners over the years.

I have never had so much as a bump, tingle or burn on either my mouth or genitals.

I have regular STD checks, however sexual health Doctors in Sydney do not like to test blood for HSV unless symptoms show. As such I have always been told not to do blood tests because I have not had a symptom.

I have recently started seeing a guy and he got tested for hsv1 and hsv2 and both came back negative.

I got my blood taken today, but despite NEVeR having a symptom anywhere I have not eaten or slept lately for fear that I have it and will loose this great guy.

I guess my question is, if you have both HSV 1 and 2 can that mean that you will be a symptomatic for both or is it just one type that you would be a symptomatic for and show symptoms of the other? Considering I have never had a symptom, does that mean its less likely I have both types and maybe only one type?

Thanks so much
break-outs can occur for both viruses i think that symptoms vary: hsv-2 i get every four years and hsv-1 i get three times a year if you have em you will know about it sooner or later
the free herpes handbook we recommend in our read before posting post has lots of good info for you - have you read it yet?

the forum can best help you once you have your results. feel free to post them here - e.g. hsv1 igg 7.9 and hsv2 igg .33 or whatever they are so we can help you  best :)

grace
Thanks for your replies!

I have read so much on herpes I think I could become a specialist!!

I'm not sure if I phrased my question correctly. If I   asymptomatic for hsv1 will that mean that I am also going to be a symptomatic for hsv2. Or is it usual that you would only be a symptomatic for one and not the other ?
no it does not.
Thanks for your help Grace.

I got my results back today and they were negative for both.

I really think this forum is a god-send and I truly wish you all the best. Although I am negative, I feel as though I am very able to deal with the possibility of having a realtionship with someone that is positive in the future.

Good luck in love and life everyone xo
congrats! glad you got negative results so you can move forward :)