Herpes Community
Can you spread herpes from a toilet seat?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have herpes type 2 and my breakouts have always been on my buttcheek. I worry that I may spread it to someone else by using the same toilet.  The area infected doesn't actually touch the seat but I know that the infected area sheds and worry that I may cause a friend to get it if I forget to clean the seat.  Can anyone help me out and let me know if this is possible?   I know this is a little weird but I keep reading that you spread it from sexual contact and I have to wonder if you can spread it in the restroom....Thanks for any help!!
I scared that i might have herpes due to this brown-redish bumps on my buttcheek. can you tell me what yours look like.
No, it is not spread via toilet seats.  Genital herpes is an STD.
Thanks, I know it is an std, I have the disease.... and although it is highly unlikely, it is possible to spread it through other ways than sex. I found that information at the mayo clinic, and many other medical research sites. I found the answer to my question, like I said it is highly unlikely. The disease can't live long on other surfaces such as a toilet seat but if the area is wet and it is say seconds from contact to another person with an open lesion it is possible.  I may be wrong but I researched many sites that basically said the above information.
It takes heat and friction to transmit the virus plus generally most folks buttocks have too thick of skin for anything to easily penetrate from something like just sitting on a toilet seat.  If you have an active lesion on an area that touches the toilet seat, it's not a bad idea to err on the side of caution and wipe down the toilet seat with soap and water or a disinfecting wipe if at all possible after using it. If you are on a public toilet or someplace where you can't do that when you have an active lesion on an area that touches the seat, wad up some toilet paper and hold it over the lesion as you are sitting down  ( too hard for us gals to squat and pee without touching the seat without having it run down our legs and such! ).

In general though I certainly would not worry about transmitting the virus this way to anyone.

grace