Herpes Expert Forum
Canker Sores and HSV-1 Bloodwork

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Canker Sores and HSV-1 Bloodwork

I have had canker sores since childhood. Always inside my mouth and never once a cold sore outside my mouth. I was recently purchased an 8 test paddle and the bloodwork came back possitive for HSV-1 with an IgG test level of 5.40  I called the company that did the test for a free consult and got a young girl who told me that the virus that causes my Canker Sores can set the HSV-1 test off. Is this true? Also is there a more reliable test for HSV-1 that I can take.
The level of the positive test simply indicates that you are definitely infected with HSV 1 - the value is sufficiently high that no confirmatory testing is needed.  

If you want a test to confirm your HSV 1 infection, you could request a herpes western blot through Quest labs, code 34534.  This is NOT available on stdtestexpress.com.  YOu would need to see a provider who uses quest labs.  No antibody test can tell you where in your body you are infected.  The only way to know that is to have an outbreak that can be swab tested positive in either location.

Terri
PS.. I was having a canker sore outbreak the day of my testing.
Canker sores are NOT caused by herpes, but cold sores are.  You got misinformation.  If you have never had a cold sore on your lip in your lifetime, but test accurately positive for HSV 1, which it certainly looks like you did, then you could have the HSV 1 virus either orally or genitally, particularly if you have received oral sex in your lifetime.  If you have never received oral sex in your lifetime, then the likelihood of genital infection is probably lower.  Do you recall the company that did your test and gave you the consult?  I would very much like to contact them to correct their consulation information.

Terri
I used www.stdtestexpress.com  and went to a Dr in there network. I understand the implications of the HSV1 but I have never had a breakout below the belt either. I shave so it would be easy to see. Is a false positive possible? And the levels I had at the time of test..do they tell us anything. I have refrained from sexual activity with anyone until I get a handle on this.
Yes I have recieved oral sex in my lifetime. However again, never a breakout in either spot.. I am sick with worry.. is there a test that can 1. Confirm I have it. 2. Tell me which location its in?
Did the actual doctor with their network tell you the HSV 1 reflected a history of canker sores or someone on the phone?
Terri
In the package I bought they claim to have Dr consults. After I got my results I wanted to talk with a Dr. so I called and got a young lady. She informed me that HSV-1 is so common that the Dr. Consult didnt apply. She said that she handled these calls and she told me that the Canker Sore my have been what set the test off possitive. It sounded fishy to me so here I am..
What should I do at this point.. I have a canker in my mouth now.. it is the standard canker which is about healed.. With no outbreak now or ever should I refrain from activity?.. I do not want to be someones infector... Did the levels i had give any indication of when I may have gotten this?
Aaaaah.  I spoke with one of the medical directors at your testing place yesterday.  They were quite surprised that a physician would say that to you, but now that you clarify, that helps.  Still, what an error!

HSV 1 doesn't cause canker sores, it has nothing to do with that.  In fact, if you've never had a cold sore on your lip, we don't know if your infection is oral or genital.

There is no way to know for certain how long you've been infected, except that it probably wasn't within the two weeks prior to your test..

Terri