Canker sore/cold sores same thing?
Hello!  I was diagnosed with ghsv1 about a year ago, and since then i have become a hypochondriac and have been very depressed, however, on another note, i have seen my gynecologist and dermatologist (on separate occasions and for different things) but both of them told me that the canker sores that i have gotten in my mouth since i was 13 are herpes.  This is confusing to me because EVERYWHERE online (medical websites and all the other ones) tell me that they are different and canker sores are not only not contagious, but not caused by hsv.  I was just hoping that someone would know and be able to tell me because i am very frustrated at the moment.  I just want to know what i have so i can take proper precautions if necessary, also so i don't have to freak out about something that may not be true.  Any help would be wonderful.
I'm assuming your genital HSV-1 was diagnosed with a viral culture.  If you had oral HSV-1 since you were 13, you probably would have been immune to getting it genitally.  Canker sores and cold sores are different, to my knowledge.  Cold sores from HSV-1 usually occur outside the mouth, somewhere on the lip...not inside.  Anyway, try not to let this get you down - if you do have genital HSV-1, you will probably not have many outbreaks, if any more, and they will be less severe than if you had HSV-2.  
Good luck,
Em
Canker sores are not herpes.

that said - you can have canker sores and also have oral herpes.  there isn't an easy way to determine if you contracted hsv1 both orally and genitally around the same time unless you get obvious cold sores ( and not your normal canker sores you've been getting ).  

when you have canker sores - don't perform oral sex on a partner. They are an open portal into the body for germs.

grace