Herpes Community
Chances of Contracting Herpes from Oral Sex
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chances of Contracting Herpes from Oral Sex

Hello,

I am a male.  Recently I received oral sex from a woman without using a condom.  It was extremely poor judgement on my part.  I do not know if she had herpes (or any other STD for that matter), and I do not have a way to contact her.

I am wondering what the chances are of contracting herpes from receiving oral sex (fellatio).  It happened one time.  How worried should I be?  When should I get tested?  How long until a negative test result will stand up?

Thank you
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
Have you ever been tested before to know your own herpes status? Can you recall ever having a cold sore?

The risk of contracting anything from a one time oral sex incident is very low. Personally I wouldn't even do any follow up testing unless you develop any obvious symptoms of anything down yonder.  

grace
Blank
Thank you for your response Grace.

I have never been tested for my own herpes status.  I have never had a cold sore.  My sister has had cold sores since she was a little girl, I don't know if I was ever exposed to it.

The incident took place on April 16th.  I have not had any sypmtoms of any kind whatsoever.  I haven't visibly seen anything, nor have I felt any physical discomfort of any kind.  Do you think I shouldn't even worry about getting tested?  I have literally worn a condom every single time I have had vaginal sex.  I know in the future I need to be careful with oral sex as well.

Thank you once again for your response-- I appreciate it.
Blank
874193_tn?1241176390
An outbreak will usually occur within 2-10 days.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
Condoms are not 100% protection against contracting genital herpes.  You still need to be testing for herpes periodically in between partners to keep an eye on your status. Since it sounds like you've never had a herpes blood test before - why not get one while this is all on your mind so you do know your status for future partners?  I really don't thnk you contracted anything from the encounter you are worried about - you would've had symptoms by now but it's being sexually responsible to get tested periodically.

grace
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank