Herpes Community
Chapped lips or Herpes 1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Chapped lips or Herpes 1

I have had cold sores for at least 15 years. Over the past 5 they have become more infrequent, perhaps once a year. The location historically has always been the same - top lip close to the right corner and as the years have gone by they seem to be less intense and more on the inside of my lip, not right on the edge or outside. I have always been able to feel and anticipate the tingles and warn my partners not to kiss me and that were not having oral sex.
My question is about an incident this last friday night. My girlfriend has had dry chapped lips for the past week-when i said goodnight on friday we made out in the car and that was it. Normal evening with my girl. The next day i felt a heat and irritation on the left 1/3 of my bottom lip. I thought that the combination of the weather and giving my lips a work out from the night before was causing them to feel hot and raw. I looked at the area and saw a few slightly raised areas that were a bit more obvious when i pulled the skin taught. Since this was in a completely new spot on my lip I assumed it was just chapped. My girlfriend came over and about 4 hours later i performed oral sex on her and kissed. All was good...didnt think about it. About 2 hours later i felt the same heat on my lower lip as before. and looked again..still same look. Now ive been really nervous about what had happened and would be so devastated if i gave her oral herpes 1. When i woke up the next day, sunday, 1 day later the area that was bothering me was more red and chapped- and my almost all my lips were hot and tacky. There was a bit of perhaps roughness where the spot was...not scabs but drier skin on my bottom lip. Next day, monday (yesterday) all heat and most of the roughness is gone. I have never been tested for HSV1 oral but tested NEG for HSV2 3 weeks ago. Curious and hoping that during all this time i wasnt ever HSV1, I got a lgM and lgG Herpes 1 and 2 test yesterday and will find out results tomorrow. Is it possible to have a Herpes 1 cold sore in an entirely new spot? Was it just abrasion or a type or canker sore? Can a cold sore exist over just 2-3 days and never form a blister and not have the typical symptoms that ive grown to understand for years. I'm sure I have HSV1 oral...Ive already been a handfull for my girlfriend of the past week and dont want to scare her with anything unnecessary- she already thinks im a hypochondriac. Is the best course waiting to see if she feels anything in the next 2 weeks? Is that the correct amount of time or is genital HSV1 have the same time frame as HSV2-at 4 months?
Thanks for any input.
nik  
You can expect to have cold sores anywhere around the lip, chin and nose area. it's all the same group of nerves and the virus can reactivate and cause a cold sore in any of those areas. They won't always be in the same location.  

There wasn't any benefit in repeating your blood testing you had done at all. It only tells you what you have, not where you have it ( and the igm testing was a total waste of time and money to boot ).  A lesion culture of your lip symptoms would've been the best course of action if you suspect that it's hsv1. You already know you have hsv1 so no reason to test via blood for it.  Your blood test a few weeks ago says you don't have hsv2.  Blood testing will not tell you what is currently going on on your lips. make sense?

So is this a cold sore, chapped lips or something else going on? It's really hard to tell.  If it's a cold sore it'll heal on its own in a week or so. If it's chapped lips, applying copious amounts of lip moisturizers every 2-3 hours while awake should help.  If it's something else like a fungal infection or something, it'll still be there and will need more evaluation and proper treatment to go away.

As for your gf, has she ever been tested to know her own hsv status? Should she get any obvious genital symptoms within the next week or two, she should see her provider immediately for proper testing.

grace