Herpes Community
Chiropractic Adjustments brought on OB???

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Quick overview.  I am a 41 yr. old female.  Got HSV-2 when i was in my early 20's.  Have had about 6 outbreaks since initial diagnosis.  Been through heavy stress situations, never had an outbreak.  Recently, I have been going to a Chiropractor for back and neck problems.  Suddenly, an OB occurs.  I do not believe this OB is was caused by stressors, as I don't really have anything going on other than back/neck problems.  In my recent research, I have found that when dormant, the virus lives at the base of your spine.  I am wondering if getting the chiro adjustments might have woken the virus up.  Has anyone else had a similar situation?  Or know of any research on this?  I don't want to take meds for the rest of my life to keep this at bay, since I have had very few OB's over the years.  The side affects of it, and the cost are prohibitive to me.  Any thoughts??
what side effects are you concerned of?  there are no long term side effects to the herpes antivirals. the 3 main side effects are headache, abdominal pain and nausea.  

The number of ob's you've had is irrelevant as far as the amount of viral shedding that's been going on.  you still shed the virus periodically even if you aren't noticing obvious recurrences.

could your adjustments have triggered an ob?  more likely that you were just "due" for one anyways.  

as for the cost of medications, acyclovir is $4 to treat each ob as it occurs even if you don't have insurance and get it filled at walmart and like places. daily suppressive therapy with acyclovir is under $20 even if you don't have insurance most places in the US also.

grace
I am concerned about nausea, headaches, stomache pain, abdominal pain, joint pain, dizziness and hair loss.  While some people may not find those symptoms bothersome, for me, they are very bothersome.  I already have joint problems with very bad knees, and do not need to add to that daily pain by taking something (else) that may actually cause it to worsen.  The cost of valtrex WITH my insurance coverage was $50.00.  That's a LOT of money on a monthly basis.  The acyclovir was also $50.00 for a 5 day treatment.  I understand the viral shedding probably has been going on for some time, but for the past 18 years....it's been very nice to NOT have to worry about this crap.  Possibly i was just due for an outbreak - however - they usually happen for a reason.  I can't find any reason in my life why this should have occurred, other than I was having my spine manipulated.  It just so happens that the first OB I am talking about occurred after I started seeing the Chiro, and that I have had 3 OB in the past 2 months.   HIGHLY unusual for me.  I knwo that I have been very 'blessed' to not have many of them over the years, and I want to keep it that way.  
the nausea, headache and abdominal pain usually goes away within a week or two of suppressive therapy, if you experience it at all. joint pain , dizziness and hair loss are very rare side effects, not many folks experience them at all.    

are you in the US?  you can get acyclovir far cheaper than the prices you were told. shop around!!!  

grace
Hello. You are asking exactly the question I was wondering! I am 42 and have only just found out that I have HSV2 after being in a monogamous relationship for 10 years and no knowledge that either of us had HSV. I am on holiday and there is no stress - on the contrary - I went for a series of chiro visits to deal with various lower back, neck and thoracic problems and whammo, I have what I would call my first ob. When the Dr. said it hides in the spinal ganglia down where I have almost no disc left, I now too wonder whether not that HSV causes the lower back disc problems but that the adjustments "woke up" the virus.
I'm 28 years old, and about a year ago I was in an abusive relationship. Forced to have unprotected sex. After getting away from the man I had myself tested on two separate occassions just to make sure I had not contracted anything. Everything came back negative.
3 weeks ago I started Chiro treatments for a car accident I had many years ago. I am in a new healthy relationship, and my partner has never experience herpes symptoms before.
Low and behold I developed horrible painful sores symptoms of type 2. The test results have not come back, but I feel like I know the outcome.
I do have terrible allergies but the hives have never shown up down there.
The only change in my life is the chiro treatments. I have been under extreme stress with my mother becoming severely ill in the last year. No outbreaks have surfaced.
As far as alternative treatments. I know essential oils have successful results. The main oil is very expensive $115 dollars whole sale for Melissa.It can be applied undiluted IF you are certain the company you get the oil from is highly reputable in their testing for foreign contaminants. The best I've found so far is DoTerra. Other oils are Ravensara, Patchouly, and Melaluca. I hope this helps. I know for a fact the side effects of Acyclovior is that it causes the virus to evolve and eventually develop resistance to the medication which in turn will cause more out breaks.
Good Luck Everyone! Wish me luck that I get negative results!
I have hsv1 genital. I went 8 years with very little outbreaks. I'm wondering same thing about the chiro. I've started going for lower back and I've had two outbreaks since I've started going. In the last two months.
Poojane, it's a free country and a pretty much wide open forum, as long as there are no abusive comments. Still, it does nobody any good for you to post a very atypical experience that you don't even know is accurate. As we discussed in your own thread, there are good reasons to suspect that your recent increase in outbreak frequency may not be your previous HSV1 infection. Posting things like this just misleads people about what to expect from genital HSV1.

In any case, it isn't plausible that chiropractic manipulation can trigger HSV outbreaks.
I wasn't implying anything. I'm in the dark here just like the rest. Was just stating my own experience, that's all. Didn't mean any harm at all.
Medical scientists are still quite baffled about what really triggers HSV outbreaks. Other than the lowering of the immune system (which can happen with stress or other infections or medications) they don't really know why some people get an outbreak and others don't, or why HSV can be dormant for years and suddenly flare up. They can only speculate.

As such, we are certainly entitled to speculate that something has triggered an outbreak, whether it is chiroprachtic treatment or peanut butter. Anecdotal accounts can be useful for people, but they aren't scientifically valid until they're collated in a proper study.

So I don't see the problem with trying to figure out what triggers your own outbreaks. Just keep in mind that there could very easily be another cause and the chiropractic treatment is just a coincidence. Unless you get an outbreak most of the time after chiropractic care, you may never know.