Herpes Community
Cold sore on tip of the tongue

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Cold sore on tip of the tongue

I had two encounters within last 2 weeks. First one with girl I know little. Intercourse lasted about 40 minutes. We had safe sex. I did oral on her for brief second and realized it's not worth and retrieved from that act she did oral on me with condom on. There is lot of kissing but I didn't see any sores she looked clean for me and this happened 2 weeks back; and second one is with escort this is just giving me little bit uneasy feeling anyways this act was also protected.  Intercourse didn't last more than 10 minutes. I just kissed her one time for a brief second. I noticed some bumps on back of her shoulder and on her tummy she said those are bug bites got them from camping. After nearly five days of this exposure I have a sore on the tip of my tongue with little white puss (it wasn't a bump). it is small I don't have any pain (just slight tingling sensation when I touch the sore with my teeth) I can eat normally. I am not sure when was the last time I had cold sore on tongue. It is 36 hrs since I noticed this sore. I don't see any signs of it going away. I don't have any other symptoms. What is the chance of this could be herpes. Do I need to get tested any suggestions would be appreciated.

Actually, the same exact thing has happened to me and is happening to me now. I had an encounter but had unprotected oral sex with a guy. 17 days later, I noticed two red sores at the tip of my tongue that did not hurt at all. They disappeared 4 days later. However, they came back two weeks ago on Friday, this time with three (one on the side a lil) and lasted 3 days. I also had a white bump at the back of my throat that time. This last Sunday, they came back and it was all over my mouth; gums were so swollen, tongue was also swollen with the red bumps coming and going. Made it very hard to drink and eat over the week. I did get tested for HSV yesterday, so I have to wait for the results next week to let ya know. Doctor gave me famivar incase it is herpes so I have been taking that for two days now.

Don't trust what that escort told you about "camping." No way she would have went camping with red bumps all over, I mean come on, she is an escort lol. Also, watch out for spreading that crap on yourself if it is your first time being in contact with the virus. I say this because I might have gotten it in both of my eyes from putting in contacts as well as on my hand left hand.
Thanks for the reply. You scarred me. But my concern is how often first outbreak would be single sore and also on the tongue. I read on different sites that herpes is very rare inside the mouth even if it did occur most of the times if will be on roof of the mouth or on the gum. It wasn't bump every time I brush or ate something white puss is gone leaving dark red spot. Do I need to get tested?

Even if this is oral herpes, no need to be freaked out. It's not usual to have herpes on the tongue, and if you want a diagnosis you'd have to be seen by your doctor. Ulcers/canker sores (which are not herpes) are very common on the gums/tongue, rest assured.

The majority of adults have this pesky skin condition. Also, it is not something you can just spread all over your body - not true. So don't be scared - 45 million folks have oral herpes and most of us won't make it to the old folks home without it.

You can read more factual information about oral herpes here:

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers