Herpes Community
Concern with ulcer on penis shaft, no risky sexual behavior

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hello everyone, hope I can get some help with this, 4-5 days ago while masturbating I noticed a weird stingy sensation on my penis, thought I had hurt it with something. I did not pay much attention to it until the day after. I checked my penis and was shocked to have found an ulcer just there on my penis, one single ulcer like cut or thing. I freaked out and started studying it and finding stuff online until I finally decided to post something. I narrowed it down to a couple of things, them being Herpes (but how no risky sex unless girlfriend gave it to me), a normal cut, chafing from excessive masturbating and some weird form of cancer but thats it no other ideas.

Obviously I thought herpes, but I have not have any risky sex in over 3 yrs now and I have started a relationship with this girl I met. I am fearful she might have given it to me and somehow she had no symptoms. We had unprotected sex once and then everything with protection. (one time we did it while she was on her period but i wore protection as well, tmi) so my concern is the ulcer.

It is day 4 or 5 by now and it has started to heal and look crusty, the day after I noticed it started to heal. I also notice a like sort of cut next to the ulcer like if I had hurt it with something, but it could just be a wrinkle. I also do not feel pain at all, only the normal pain from tearing the crust or what not. I did not notice a blister or anything with pus or liquid filled. So my questions are:

1) What are the chances of this being herpes?
2)If it is herpes how does an ulcer look like, like the borders color, odor, visually and that type of stuff?
3) If not herpes what are the other possible things it could be.
4)Finally if it is just a cut why did it happen now? is it the very cold weather? and excessive masturbation? and if it just a cut how long will it take to heal?

Thanks hope to get some helpful feedback