Herpes Community
Concerned for Him

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Concerned for Him

I recently started a new relationship with a man who is HSV1 positive and I was diagnosed HSV2 over 17 years ago.  Before we progressed to physical, I informed him of my status, that I have been on Valtrex for about 7 years, I have only had 6 outbreaks the entire time, and the last outbreak being over 4 years ago.  We also both insisted on using condoms.  At that time, he was alright with finding out this information and we became intimate.

The next day, maybe since it wasn't in the moment any longer, he became increasingly worried and afraid of the risk of transmission of the HSV2.   I attempted to calm his fears, but is there anything specific as well as where the information was obtained that I may provide to him?

He is a wonderful man and I do not want to lose him, but in his world, this may be a dealbreaker.

Thank you!

I have a question and god bless your heart stay strong and when you break out do they look like pimples or does it look more raw then that and I'm sorry if I'm bothering you
I haven't had an outbreak in over four years, but I do remember them specifically.  I have two spots that are blisters that then pop and are very sore.  Mostly sore when I urinate since the urine then passes over the open sores... Ouch just thinking about them!  

Hope this helps...

You aren't bothering at all.
when you were tested all those years ago, odds are you didn't have typing done. if you haven't recently sought out type specific herpes igg blood testing to know your status for sure, not a bad idea to do so.

if you and this fellow had protected sex while you are on daily suppressive therapy and avoided sex any time you had anything going on genitally, he'd be 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. Very low odds for a male in general. encourage him to also seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to know his status too to see if you even have to worry about transmission or not. same as make sure all other std testing bases are covered too. it's so not just about your herpes you know you have!!

grace
In your response you mention to have him find out his status to see if I even have to worry about transmission or not.   If he has HSV1 and I have genital herpes, isn't there always a chance of transmission even abit very low?  

All other STD testing is completed every year and all is Negative in that regard.

Thank you for your assistance.
you need to know your full herpes status and so does he. his having hsv1 wouldn't provide him with any significant protection against contracting hsv2 from you.

also make sure he's had proper testing done - it's about protecting yourself too!
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers