Herpes Community
Conflicting IgG Test Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Conflicting IgG Test Results

My boyfriend went in for a routine STD screening at the end of March this year. To our shock, he came back positive for HSV-2 according to the IgG test (and negative for HSV-1). We do not know the levels because the doctor refused to disclose them. I tested as well and came back negative for both types. We are each other's only partners for the past 1.5 years.

Having read this forum before and being concerned about a false positive, I convinced him to retest with an IgG one week ago. His results came back NEGATIVE with a result "well below .9," according to another doctor.

We're very confused! We cannot afford a Western Blot test right now, so we're wondering...considering he had one (likely low) positive and a strong negative result one month later, is there still a significant risk of him having HSV-2? Or can we relax a little until he retests in a few months?

What should we do from here?

Thank you very much for any advice!
HIPAA laws make it impossible for a provider to refuse to show you test results. His provider is legally obligated to share his exact test results with him .  

you are negative, his repeat test was negative. no reason for more testing.

grace

grace
You know, I work in Human Resources, and I didn't think to call the doctor out on HIPAA laws. Definitely having a face palm moment right now. If only I could convince the boyfriend to call again!

Thank you VERY much for your advice, Grace! I have heard many great things about you from the herpes community, and I am humbled you took time to address my concerns - and provide me with peace of mind. You are wonderful! :)
probably not worth finding out what the initial test results were at this point since he's since repeated the testing.  Just remind him that the next time his doctor tries something like that, to call him out on it!!  we hear hipaa hipaa hipaa and forget that it's actually there to benefit us, not just something we have to worry about violating !!

glad you knew where to come for better answers :)