Herpes Community
Conflicting results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Conflicting results

I recently got a complete STD screening. All of my results came back negative except my herpes select. I have never had any symptoms either cold sores or genital herpes, but i was told that i was positive for both hsv- 1 and hsv-2. When i told my last partner about this, he said that both he and his current girlfriend got tested and that they both came back negative. I realize that there is a chance that he is lying to me, but i got retested anyway.
I went back to the same place that i got tested at the first time, a labcorp. But i didnt really trust the results so i went to www.tstd.org and had tests ordered to go to quest diagnostics. My quest results came back positive for hsv-1 and negative for hsv-2. But my results from lapcorp came back positive again for both.
My results were:
HSV-1   3.04
HSV-2   1.13
My hsv-2 is so low that im wondering if it is being affected by the high hsv-1. Considering that i have never had symptoms, and that my ex is telling me that he is negative, and that i had a negative result for hsv-2 from quest could i really have gential (genital) herpes?
I was tested through tstd.org, without symptoms, as well.  I tested positive for HSV 2 Igg= 1.45 and negative for type 1.  I then went to my normal doctor and had her test me again about four weeks later and I tested positive for Type 1 Igg=3.09 and negative for type 2.  I'm really confused as well.
your hsv2 is a low positive. If you need peace of mind you can get a herpes WB but it's not likely that you really have hsv2.

grace
Should i be worried that my tests from labcorp keep coming back positive? My friend is insisting that i have hsv-2 and thinks that i am simply in denial. I have an appointment with my primary doctor next week (original tests done by my gyno) to ask about the results and what i should do next. My gynocologist is insisting that i should go on a drug like Valtrex. But since i dont have outbreaks i have been told that Valtrex wouldnt help me much.
Your gyn isn't very up to date on the issues surrounding the low positives then :(

confirm this with a different test - biokit or WB would be your best bets and then go from there. it's something like less than 20% of folks who have hsv2 results in the range you have are actually hsv2+ so it's well worth confirming.

grace