Herpes Community
Confused, pos blood test hsv2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused, pos blood test hsv2

I am totally confused! I have no symptoms or OB's and no history of known exposure. I recently had a full std panel done as a first time precaution. All came back negative w exception of hsv2. I was so shocked I had it repeated and was pos again. In disbelief, I went to last two women I had dated, covering two years time, and asked them to be tested, which they did, and both were negative. We never used protection in either of these year long relationships...Soo my questions are 1) what are chances I am actually pos and had symptoms just didn't recognize? 2) how far back in relationships should I pursue to try and find exposure to confirm possibility? Or should I even? 3) if I am positive and didn't spread it to at least two women after many unprotected encounters, is it poss I am not contagious? Or very minimally contagious?

Any input/advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!
I can best help you if you get your actual test results to post here - e.g. hsv1 igg 7.7 and hsv2 igg 4.3 or whatever they are. that way we can see if you are in the false positive range and need additional testing or not. thanks!

grace
Thanks so much! I had herpeselect Elisa igG ...hsv 1 was 17 IU/ml and hsv 2 was 353IU/ ml ...it was part of a larger test panel, all of which was negative.  The repeat confirmed the hsv 1&2 numbers almost exactly, with hsv 2 being 357...just stumped as to why if I'm positive my past two frequent partners were negative and no one else from my past has let me know of any concern. Also, should I go further back than 2 yrs to ask others to get tested? And where is the limit on time? Any answers to my concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
that wasn't a herpeselect that you had done. it doesn't return like that.  

you are in the US correct?
Yes, in TN..it was done at one of the "any lab test now" chains...I looked online and thats the test they listed as most commonly used, so I assumed...pretty sure it did say igG though...thank you for your interest so far btw..
they aren't performing the herpeselect if that is the way they are reporting. the only test in the US that I know of that reports that way has a very high false positive rate and we recommend everyone repeat it with better testing. either a biokit hsv2 igg, herpeselect hsv1 and hsv2 igg or the captia hsv1 and hsv2 igg test.
Ok. Thanks so much. I will do this. In your experience do men who are positive usually have symptoms that are noticeable? And relatively soon after contracting the virus? I have read so many different things online regarding symptoms...

Thanks!
symptoms differ from person to person. on some folks they are very painful and noticeable, on others, pretty easy to brush off as something else.