Confused about HSV results, please help.
Hi everybody, been reading a lot of the posts on here and while they've helped, they've also made me question my own situation.

2 years back I went to the doc to get a spot looked at down there. She took a culture and told me that it had "herpetic traces" ...what does that even mean? At this point, I was a virgin. I was with a guy who fondled me with his hands, I never gave oral. The doc gave me valtrex, and whatever it was went away. Since then, I haven't experienced any symptoms.

A few months later, I got retested and my new doc said I was negative for type 2. Here are the results:

HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE 1 AB.IGG (PT; SER; QN; ) (Value) 0.16 INDEX (Index) 0.00-0.89

This is info available through a patient portal. There isn't result info for the type 2 for whatever reason. She just told me I was negative for type 2, then I found those results online on my own.

Can somebody help me understand this whole thing? Can cultures be wrong? What does it mean by "herpetic traces"? Am going to get tested again in a week, if it turns up negative again, should I stop worrying?

Thanks so much!

Hi, the sensitivity on the swab depends on what test they performed. There is a viral culture where the attempt to grow the herpes and can tell by the shape of the cells or the PCR which is more sensitive in detecting. Either way, if any evidence is found, a blood test igg type specific would be needed to verify.

But bottom line it appears you are negative. But the doctor should give you some numbers for hsv2 from the blood test.
Not sure what the term trace means as either they find it or they dont.