Herpes Community
Confused about HSV2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused about HSV2

Thank you for reading this, I would appreciate an honest response :)

I have been dating my girlfriend since August 2010.  We were both tested by our doctors for full range of STDs after 2 months of being together, in late October.  All test results were negative.  About a month ago she had an outbreak in the vaginal/anus area... her doctor tested the sores and confirmed that she has HSV2.  

I immediately stopped having sexual contact with her, and then went and got tested by my doctor approx 3-4 weeks later.  The blood test came back negative for both HSV1 and HSV2.  He wants me to come back in for additional testing in 2 months but thinks I am OK since I haven't showed any symptoms.

I have decided to end the relationship with my girlfriend as I do not want to take the risk of contracting HSV2.  My doctor says the likelihood that she had HSV2 before our relationship began and that the blood test she took in October was wrong/inaccurate is highly unlikely.  And that the probable explanation for her outbreak is that she contracted HSV2 some time within 10 days before the outbreak from someone else - aka she cheated on me.  

My question is;  What is more likely?  That she had HSV2 before the blood test, and that the test was wrong... or that she cheated on me?  Is there any other explanation? \

Thank you very much
your gf will need to check to see if herpes testing was even included with her std testing she had early into your relationship. it's not a part of routine std testing.

if your gf had hsv2 prior to meeting you, you already know how low the risk of transmission is to you. You can continue to keep the risk low to you with very little effort. Just avoiding sex anytime she has anything going on genitally, you are 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from her.  If she takes daily suppressive therapy too, you are 98% likely not to contract hsv2 from her each year.  Throw in condoms too and it's a 99% likelihood each year that you'd stay hsv2 negative.

make sure your gf had proper testing done to diagnose hsv2. make sure her culture was typed to know for sure that it's hsv2 and not just a visual diagnosis or just a culture that was + for herpes and not typed.  

is herpes showing up now a reason to end a relationship? well no it isn't unless you find out that indeed she did cheat on you.  I'm betting she was never tested for it originally.  statistically 1 out of every 2-3 people you'd be dating will be hsv1+. 1 out of every 4-5 of them will have hsv2. It's likely your next partner would have at least 1 type of herpes and the older you get, the higher the odds that a partner does have herpes. herpes is something you can control fairly easily and keep transmission rates low.  not many things in life you can do that with.

keep asking questions!

grace
Grace,

Thank you for your response... yes the test she took in October was a HSV2 specific test - she showed it to me and it specifically showed HSV2 result as below 1.0  aka the first one she tested negative for... the second test after her outbreak was a culture test and showed that she now has HSV2...

I don't know what to think now... how could she test negative on a specific blood test and then 4 months later have an outbreak and test positive unless she cheated on me?
how long prior to her first testing had she has had a partner?

also make sure you both had igg testing done and not igm testing.
She said she hadn't been with anyone for months before we got together... so if she's telling the truth then she wouldn't have been with anyone else for over 4-5 months before she was tested in October...

I am not certain if her original test in October was an igg or igm but I remember seeing 2 sets of the test, so I believe both were done... my results from the test I just took have both igg and igm negative results...

what do you think?  Any way to put a % on it?  ex - there is a 85% chance she cheated?  I care for her but I just can't ignore the fact that my doctor told me he finds the scenario hard to believe and that she likely cheated
some people will take longer to seroconvert than others but most don't take more than 6 months.

have you had the "did you cheat" talk yet?