Herpes Community
Confused about Herpetic whitlow

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused about Herpetic whitlow

I had index finger and thumb lesions biopsied and cultured 10 days ago, as i have had 3 herpes zoster outbreaks in the last 4 years. I am receiving immunosuppressive medications to treat Rheumatoid arthritis, and have for over 10 years.   I have had biopsy of finger lesion last year to determine cause of frequent skin lesions as i also have pustular psoriasis. The culture last year showed it was due to my RA. My rheumatologist thought this outbreak was possibly shingles, so i was seen by my dermatologist. I was notified that the current culture showed HSV type 1 AND type 2. I have never had any oral or genital lesions and have been in a monogamous relationship for 20 years with a partner with no history of lesions. Is this a primary outbreak?  How/where did i contract it?  If there are future outbreaks, where will they be?  Do i need to be concerned about transmitting HSV orally or genitally or is it limited to hands?  Because i do have frequent open sores on hands, is it possible that the HSV was transmitted to me from hand to hand contact from an infected person. I don't think i can handle another chronic disease.  Thanks for your help.