Herpes Community
Confused about genital HSV1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused about genital HSV1

I received unprotected oral sex for approximately 5 minutes two days ago from someone that didn't have any visible sores but was probably a high risk.  Now I'm freaked out after searching the Internet and I'm very confused.  

Here's what I've gathered:

* You can get HSV1 from receiving unprotected oral.
* Incubation period is generally 2-7 days for all types of herpes
* Other STDs are much harder to get by receiving oral
* You can get also HSV2 from receiving oral but it's highly unlikely

Is that correct?

What I don't understand is:

* What are the symptoms of HSV1 genital herpes?  Are they the same as HSV2?
* During the prodrome stage HSV1 genital herpes, a fever can occur but what about congestion? Or, do I just have a cold?  
* How safe am I if no blisters show up after 7 days?  I know I won't be 100% in the clear but will I be at least 95%?
* What are the chances of getting HSV1 from oral if you've never had normal HSV1?  Are they the same as oral to oral?  If there's a 3-5% chance of passing HSV during shedding does that apply to all types of contact?
* WHEN CAN I STOP FREAKING OUT

Avatar n tn
Also, what should I be looing for on a daily basis until I'm in the clear?  And, when should I test and retest?
Avatar n tn
Last question, if I do have HSV1 or 2 on my genitals, is there any risk with me passing it on to someone else from kissing?  
have you ever been tested for herpes before to know your status?

no need to be checking out your penis daily. if you contracted a std from this encounter, you'll know it. you'll either have lesions that are painful or itchy or you'll have pain and/or discharge with urination.

grace
Avatar n tn
No, I've never been tested.  I've been with the same girlfriend for 8 years and until now there's never been a need.

If nothing shows up after 7 days, can I start to relax?  Before then, am I at risk of passing anything on by kissing?

Thank you
it's being sexually responsible to get tested for herpes :)