Herpes Community
Confused about infection
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Confused about infection

I am a female and I recently had my first genital outbreak of blisters during a time when I was sick and menstruating.  They were not painful but itchy and began to scab over (4 of them bilateral).  By the time I saw my gyno she said herpes culture would probably be negative because they were beginning to scab, but the culture came back positive for HSV-1.  She said it was most likely due to oral sex.  I had not had oral sex for at least 6 months prior to this outbreak (never with someone with an active cold sore or history of cold sores).  I had bloodwork, she said they were negative for HSV-1 and HSV-2 IgM AND IGg.  My primary care doctor reported a positive, but extrememly low, result for HSV-1 Igm meaning a primary infection.  My confusion is I am not sure how this could have been contracted.  All of my possibilities seem very unlikely.  Is there one that seems more likely??

1.) 5/6 weeks prior to this outbreak, I had unprotected genital to genital contact with someone with no symptoms.  I've read that the incubation period for genital herpes does not reach over 3 weeks?

2.) About 5 days before symptoms I used friend's towel after her, do not know her status.  (I know this has been said to be extrememly unlikely if not impossible).

3.) About 5 days before symptoms-protected genital to genital intercourse with someone without symptoms or a history of them.  Contact to genitals through saliva on his finger may have happened.  (no cold sore present)

4.) Around the same time, kissing someone without symptoms--could the virus possibly be transmitted to my lips and then through saliva on my own finger genitally?  Basically a simultaneous initial oral and genital infection?  

So confused as all of these seem unlikely.  I am considering getting another blood test in 6 weeks, but I know that cultures are basically 99% accuracte and the only chance of error would be human error.  I know it is probably hopeless to figure out how I have contracted this-but it is causing me some distress.  I have only had two partners and should have them both tested as a start, but also know that 60-80% of people will test for HSV-1 anyways.  Thanks for your help..