Herpes Community
Confused about results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused about results

So for the past 7 months i've been seeing the same guy, he used to be very sexually active but has stopped having sex with other women since we've been together.

recently (in march) I found out that i had condyloma because my gynecologist did a biopsy and looked under a microscope and found the HPV virus.

Because she said I was at risk for other STDs she had me tested for everything. She did a blood test in March and found that I had herpes, though she said the test was too recent to see if it was type one or type two. I went on valtrax after that.

Since then, I went and got tested again at the beginning of July. She said it was still too recent to tell if I had type one or type two. After I got these most recent results, my boyfriend went and got tested this past week. His test came back completely negative for both.

Now i'm at a complete loss as to how I have herpes and he doesn't, as well as how I would have gotten it. I have not kissed another person for seven months. Is it possible that he had a false negative, or that i had two false positives? Is it possible for him to have it but continue to test negative?

I know this sounds crazy but the kid drinks more vodka than any other human being i've met, is it possible that that has something to do with a false negative for him?
Your testing done (without the results I am guessing) like she used the IgM testing which is completely useless in herpes testing and current CDC 2010 guidelines state to only use the IgG type specific test.  I doubt that you have HSV.  Can you get a copy of your testing and post the results here for us to review.  

You both may not have herpes.  NO drinking vodka doesn't impact testing.
Update: I called her office and the nurse told me they did an IgG test, but she only read me one number, which was 1.27.

I haven't read about any other cases in which somebody tested positive using an igG type specific test but is unable to tell which type they have.

I feel like i'm missing something.
Well the test could be a combo which doesn't show a type because it looks at both.  You need to find out what test was done and tell them you need a copy of the results.  
At this point you need to stop the valtrex. You don't have accurate answers as to your status and you don't want it interfering with your results if this was a newly acquired infection for you.  

I'm guessing your provider never, ever did the right testing on you from the sounds of things. If you can find out what lab they use, I can try to look up the exact test they need to order. Otherwise just order it up yourself through healthcheckusa.com or tstd.org - both offer type specific herpes igg blood testing.

encourage your provider to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines to better update her testing knowledge. it sounds like she is totally wasting her patients time and money with the testing and the interpreting she is giving :(

grace