Herpes Community
Confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confused

I have had out breaks of what has been diagnosed as shingles on my outer thigh for over 20 yrs it was just cultured and I was told it was herpes I have been with the same man for 25+ yrs and he has never shown any signs of having herpes. Could I have gotten from him or a toilet seat? Help I'm devastated
Tags: Herpes
I'm not a medic but i do know shingles is a herpes virus but its not an STD. It's from a different family and its passed the same as the chicken pox virus. It follows different nerve paths and is contagious early but is treated with antiviral medication if you get to a doc early enough. It can be very painful too. I don't think you need worry since it will heal up within a week or two I think. It's not a sexually transmitted herpes virus as far as I know
Thanks for the response . It is not shingles as I thought for 20 some yrs my new doctor tested it last week and it came back positive for herpes2 and not shingles I wasn't worried before. But I have recently divorced my husband of 25 yrs and am dating and afraid I can give it to someone else
Oh okay well grace should be able to advise on the medications that will control any future outbreaks. Many people have it and don't know for many years but at least there is a way to control the virus now. Good luck with things:)
you were wrongly diagnosed as having shingles 20 years ago. it doesn't reoccur like this. it's rather late but at least now you know that you have hsv2 causing your recurrences.

did your ex husband ever test for hsv2 to know his own status?

at this point, no way to know if you got it from him or from a partner prior to him. what is important is that you know what you have so that you and future partners can make educated decisions about what precautions to take together.

have you read the free herpes handbook we recommend in the read before posting post on the forum?

grace