Herpes Expert Forum
Confused

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Confused

Dear Terry
I am a 34y/o woman from Switzerland, I have Genital HSV1 since Oct. 9, had the inital outbreak and no problems until last Saturday. My bf gave me Oral sex on Friday Night (no Vaginal sex). The next Morning I felt burning sensation (I thought it was from shaving and because of the hot weather). On Sunday I developed blisters. I have following questions:

- Is it possible to have an outbreak almost 4 years later on both sides and on a different place? I have the blisters near my anus (never had Analsex in my life).
-My biggest fear is, that I maybe contracted HSV2 through Oral Sex ? I spoke to my bf and he said he never had any signs of herpes. How realistic is my concern or am I overreacting ? My doctor said because we kissed a lot and much longer before Oral sex, I would have been more likely that I ve developed blisters on my mouth and I shouldn’t be worried at all. He means my reoccurence came because of the hot weather, the friction (I was bicyling a lot) and from the shaving.

What do you think ? Many thanks for your advice. Best regards.
Your doctor would be the best judge of whether these sores are herpes.  Did she do any swabbing of the lesions to be certain?  Did you mean that she didn't because you had been taking acyclovir?  

If your main question is whether you could acquire HSV 2 from oral sex, that is extremely unlikely.  Has your boyfriend been tested to determine his HSV 2 status?  If you boyfriend is negative for HSV 2 , then you don't need to wait four months to be tested, you don't need testing at all if he is negative.  If he has genital HSV 2, then at some point you may wish to be retested.  

People with genital herpes, regardless of type, can have outbreaks around the anus, even if they have never had anal sex.  The virus simply travels on a different nerve to get to the surface of the skin.

Terri
Sorry, I forgot to say I have one sore on my Anus and I am quite sure, I already had it on the early Saturday Morning. My doctor said I would have been too early to show any Symptoms if I were infected by HSV 2. I am quite confused, thank you for your help.
I had a blood test 2 years ago that was hsv 1 + and hsv 2 + an my last protected vaginal sex is about 2 months ago
sorry I mean hsv 2-
Hi Terri
I went to my gyno yesterday and she confused me even more, she wasn’t sure this is herpes. By today the sores are a lot better and they don’t scap. I am on medication since Monday (Acyclovir 5x200) so she couldn’t take a swap. She said it is too late for an accurate test and I should assume it is maybe an reccurence or something else and if I still have problems after one week I should go back to see her.

What do you recommend? Shall I have a blood test for HSV2 after 3 months?

Thanks again for your help.
Hi Terri

Yes, because I have been taking acyclovir she thought a swap could be negativ.

I think I was just a bit shocked, I thought I will never have a second outbreak but I guess it is possible after nearly 4 years isn't it? I mean Genital HSV1 rarely reccurs in general right? Sometimes I am still struggeling with the idea I have it genital, why not oral. It would have been easier for me to accept. Stupid I know, it is the stigma.

Have you ever seen a case of where Oral HSV2 was transmitted to the Genitals?

My boyfriend doesn't understand my fears about catching HSV2 (he has never been tested) neither my gyno, she just said it is only contagious when lesions are present but I learned everything about my herpes from this forum, so thank you very much for this service.
I have never seen a case where HSV 2 was transmitted from someone's mouth to another person's genitals, no, never.  
Your doctor is incorrect about transmission, yes.
Maybe it would be good for your boyfriend to be tested so you can stop worrying about getting HSV 2 from him (if you are).
HSV 1 recurs infrequently in most people, but it definitely can recur, yes.  
If you had it orally, it would recur much more often.  
Perhaps you can reframe this situation but thinking about how infrequently it recurs (which is good), how infrequently you shed (which is great) and that it is highly unlikely you will ever get it orally.

Terri