Herpes Community
Confusion - please help me

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Confusion - please help me

Dear Doctor,

My boyfriend was diagnosed with herpes six months ago. He seemed to have got it from me so I got myself tested. My blood reports showed positive for HSV 1 Igg and Igm and negative for HSV 2 Igg and Igm. I get sores on my genitals but they are barely noticeable and my doctor told me that sometimes HSV 1 appears on the genitals.

After a few months, my boyfriend got his blood reports and his tests showed results that were opposite of mine. He tested negative for HSV 1 Igg and Igm and positive for HSV 2 Igg and Igm.

I am extremely confused as to how we have different types of herpes. Is there a link to both types of herpes and can two partners, assuming I have infected him, have different types of herpes?

Please help me.

Hi, if he is positive for hsv2 and you tested negative for hsv2 means means he did not get it from you. Tell us more about the tests you both had, blood or swab and the number values as often there are false positives if the value is below 3.
Agree that more information about the test results is required.

Assuming that the IgG results are clearly positive, then undoubtedly you each brought your HSV strain into the relationship independently having been infected by other people.

Without a swab of your genital sores, it may be that they are not herpes and your HSV1 infection is an oral one. With HSV2, you need to think about what steps you take in order to reduced the chance of transmission to you.
Hi Life 360 and Fleetwood20

My blood test results six months ago showed the following:

HSV 1 Igg- Positive -5.29
HSV 1 Igm- Negative- 0.06

HSV 2 Igg- Negative- 0.78
HSV2 Igm Negative- 0.24

I have had sores on my genitals but NEVER on my mouth or face. My dermatalogist had said that HSV 1 sometimes affects the genitals.

My partner's results are as follows:

HSV 1 Igg- Negative- 0.42
HSV1 Igm- Negative- 0.64

HSV 2- Igg- Positive- 2.84
HSV 2- Igm- Positive- 1.63

These results make no sense. I am in a monogamous relationship with  the same partner for 7 months. If i assume that I had type 1 and he had type 2  before we got into the relationship, I should have passed on my type 1 infection to him, and it should have shown on his blood reports but it didnt.

I went to get blood tests again today to make sure that my results six months ago are accurate. I will get them in the next 48 hours. What is your view on this?
His igg hsv2 falls into the false positive range and would need retesting to confirm. Any value under 3 is considered a false positive untill retesting confirms this. The reason being, those with established herpes have more antibodies and those would be a value of 5 and up, maybe 4. Low positives are a sign of a false positive or a recent infection.
Half of people with an oral HSV1 infection do not experience cold sores. If you have not had a swab of these genital sores then there is a question as to whether you do actually have genital HSV1.

Infection is not as easy as can sometimes can be made out to be. Most couples go their whole lives without infecting their partners.

Your partner needs to confirm whether he has a HSV2 infection or not such that you two can make decisions regarding prevention.
Ok so I got restested and the test continues to show me positive for HSV 1 (but i get sores on the genitals) and my partner's continues to show positive for HSV 2 and negative for HSV1.

:/ Really don't know what to do.
Hi confused -
Please pass along the specific values for your most recent HSV2 test.  Has anyone mentioned to you that your negative HSV2 IgG is actually very very close to being equicoval?  

When did you start to get outbreaks on your genitals?  It is possible that you have had both types of HSV but that your body hadn't developed enough antibodies by the time you were tested (6 months ago) to make you positive.  Then again, if your most recent test, still has you in the HSV2 negative range, I don't really know what to say.
How regularly do you get sores? Get them swabbed IMMEDIATELY the next time that they appear, preferably with PCR versus the regular viral culture. PCR is also a swab test, but it is much more sensitive and likely to accurately detect viral presence.