Aa
A
A
Close
Constant cols sore outbreak while taking antivirals
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has any insight as to why I am constantly getting cold sores even tho I am on antivirals (acycolvir). I have seen a health care provider and all they tell me is to wait it out. I have had cold sores in the past 2 a year but for the last 7 months I have had constant outbreaks. I am wondering if there is any suggestion out there as to what I am doing wrong? Thank you
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
what dosage of acyclovir are you taking daily?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
101028 tn?1419606604
odds are this isn't herpes going on at this point if you are having non-stop recurrences while on daily suppressive therapy.  

are you on steroids or anything?

be seen by a dermatologist for further work up.  this could be an allergy or even a fungal or bacterial infection causing your symptoms and all the antivirals in the world won't stop something like that.

grace
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I am on 400mg twice a day.
Grace. I understand the dermatologist. I started my suppresant 2 months ago. I have never been.tested for hsv1 I just assumed since I got cold.sores. I am wondering what other thing it may.be.
Thank you
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Let me clarify my question. If I were to see a dermatologist what would i tell them as to ky situation. I just dont want to spend the money or them to tell me to "just continue with the antivirals"
Thanks again
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
101028 tn?1419606604
they will do an exam to see if this looks like herpes as well as they will test for other causes. for instance, if this is a reaction to an ingredient in lip balms or even a gluten allergy or something, they can do testing for that too.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources