Herpes Community
Could bump be herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Could bump be herpes?

I get cold sores often, and lately, I've been incredibly worried about the auto - transference of oral herpes to the genital area. Especially my partner, with him them transfering it to me down there, or vice versa . I am just very worried about a bump that I saw. Here is a timeline: last week on Friday, I actually shaved the bikini line. Normally when I do this, it's pretty itchy a few days later, and i may see a bump that looks benign. So, a few days ago, on tuesday I noticed a bump that was painful, and larger than I normally see. It is right where the underwear elastic meets the skin, so although I was really paranoid about it, I figured that it is probably just an ingrown hair, or skin iritation. Now it seems to be healing just fine. However, last night, thursday night, I noticed that I am kind of itching on one side on the inside of the lips. (I'm sorry to be explicit). This was in the middle of the night,so I actually used valtrex just in case,and this morning went to get a test.
I guess my question is, if it is genital herpes, can it start with one small bump, and then 3-4 days later have more itching and potential eruptions? Or would it happen in a small period of time like 1-2 days? I know that I should just wait to see what the results are, but I'm incredibly anxious and stressed out. Any info would help.
Thank you.
I'm sorry, but I have forgotten to include that I developed Bell's Palsy about 2.5 weeks ago, and just finished a 7 day perscription of valtrex (3/day) and predisone about 4 days before that first friday in my post. Bell's Palsy is associated with the HSV1 and I have gotten cold sores since i was really young, so I wasn't completely surprised about that. The bell's palsy is actually much much better now, and should get fully better in about a week.
The best thing to do is get yourself a lesion culture but the valtrex you've been taking lately is probably going to interfere with that :(  I recommend seeing your provider for further evaluation as soon as you can instead at this point. The prednisone can cause genital herpes to flare up as well as cause you to be more prone to vaginal infections as well as skin infections.

No need to worry about getting hsv1 back on your genital area - incredibly unlikely to happen.

grace
"No need to worry about getting hsv1 back on your genital area - incredibly unlikely to happen."

Could you clarify ??:

1. I think that youyou are saying that it is unlikely to transfer hsv 1 to genitals myself?

2. What about if a partner performs oral sex after kissing? And is it unlikely for me transfer to him if there is no flare up?

3. The prednisone could have caused increased likelihood for it to be transmitted in the fashion that I speak of?

4. Original question, is it normal for it have one bump and then 4 days later more itching even though the bump is healed?

5. Will the valtrex interfere with a blood test? I got one this morning, with results coming probably

Thank you so much.
1,2,3 -  once you have hsv1 in one location, it's unlikely you'll get it in another location. It can happen but it's very unlikely to happen.  A burst of prednisone isn't going to increase the risk of this happening that quickly either.

4- many things can cause bumps down yonder which is why further evaluation is in order. Having a bump and then getting more bumps is normal for many things.

5- at this point a blood test isn't of too much use. your partner getting tested would be of more use.

grace
That is true... Thank you so much for your advice
I just remembered one more question. Since I have oral Herpes, type 1, is it best to abstain from giving oral sex completely?
only if you want your partner to be very, very sad ;)

grace