Herpes Community
Could my low positive HSV 2 IgG test result be a false positive?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I need help with my HSV 2 test results.  I went in to my primary doctor in February because I was feeling some irritation in my vaginal area.  When I went in, she felt that I had genital herpes and after getting two separate blood work tests done, she still believes that I have genital herpes even with my first test coming back negative and the second being a low positive.  I keep reading that low positives can potentially be a false positive.  Please help!  Here are my test results below.

Feb 2, 2010
-Culture test: NEG
-HSV AB Screen IGM: DETECTED
-HSV AB Titer IGM: 80
-HSV 1 AB Specific IGG: >5.00
-HSV 2 AB Specific IGG: 0.70

April 1, 2010
-HSV 1 AB Specific IGG: >5.00
-HSV 2 AB Specific IGG: 1.14

Reference Range is 1.10 POSITIVE
It could go both ways. You may have a type 1 genital infection and when you go back your test for type 2 might be negative. You are on the border so it's hard to be sure without culture testing at the beginning of the outbreak.

Do you get cold sores?
do you have a regular partner? have they been tested yet?

grace
Thank you for your response.  No, I don't get cold sores, so I haven't been able to get another culture test.  What does it mean that it's a type 1 genital infection?
So an example would be if your partner had cold sores and performed oral. Although type 1 prefers the oral area, it can infect the genital area as well.

Type 1 genital herpes can be less severe and regular than type 2 in some cases. You don't get outbreaks?
your hsv2 is a low positive. if you get your partner tested and they are hsv2+, you know that you recently contracted hsv2 from them. if they are negative and you know they haven't had any  other partners recently then you know that your hsv2 is most likely a false positive.

your hsv1 was + at the time of the first test, odds are it's oral and something you had previously and not a genital infection.  

a visual diagnosis of genital herpes is wrong 1/3 of the time. follow up on this as recommended for better answers.
No, I don't have any outbreaks.  I guess I'll just follow up with more bloodwork in a couple months.  Thank you again.
No, he hasn't been tested yet.  I'll tell him to do that.  I remember getting cold sores in mouth when I was younger, so I wasn't surprised that the hsv1 test came back positive.  

I guess it just bothers me that my doctor is wont even budge from her original opinion.  She thought I had genital herpes and now with a low positive, she said my assumptions were right.  I know she sees this more often than I do, but it still concerns me that she is so positive about it.
usually it's canker sores inside your mouth. you can have those and also have hsv1 orally too.

well we do herpes all the time here. we typically are far more up to date on our info than manyproviders are.

grace