Herpes Expert Forum
Could this be herpes? Timeline for testing?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

4 weeks ago i had intercourse with a girl who swears she has no stds but definitely gets around.  During the act we kissed and although i was wearing a condom she bled and some of the blood touched the base of my penis wear the condom wasn't protecting.  I immediately freaked out and stopped and hopped in the shower with some antibacterial soaps . two days later i didn't feel like myself.  i had what i thought to be a low fever, exhaustion, and ithcing around my whole crotch area.  My mouth was itching as well.  A week after this began i went to the doctor to see him and he prescribed a z pack thinking I had some sort of infection or virus.  the itching continued for another week but by the end of week two it was gone.  there were no lesions on my lips or penis.  still being freaked out, i went back to the doctor and asked for a std test for all possible causes.  the test was 2.5 weeks after the encounter.  everything came back negative, but i know it was too early to test for herpes, especially since there was no outbreak, and my body would likely not have the antibodies.  the thing that still has me worried is that most herpes sites i read regarding symptoms, say that fever, itchiness, and exhaustion are all symptoms, and you don't necessarily have to have an outbreak for years.  

Do You think this could herpes?  When is the best time for me to get tested to be sure I do or don't have it?  What's the best test? IgG?

I am sooooo stressed out because I've never been sick where my whole crotch itched.  Worst four weeks of my life.
It might have been a good idea to get a baseline HSV test to see what, if any, herpes simplex you might have had at the time of this encounter, but that opportunity is passed now.  Have you had sex with other people in your lifetime?  Have you ever in your life been tested for herpes before?  Have you ever had a cold sore in your lifetime on your lip, nose or chin?  Were you the giver of oral sex to her?  Was she the giver of oral sex to you?  
Itchiness, fever (did you actually take it) and exhaustion could be so many things I can't begin to describe them all.  Those, alone, do not concern me at all.   Accurate testing will be available to you 4 months after the exposure.  You will have accuracy at 70% about 6 weeks after the encounter.

Terri
I've had about 9 other partners in my lifetime, and unprotected sex with three of them.  About 2 years ago I went to my doctor for some tests because I had sebaceous glands pop up on the corner of my lips which scared me into thinking std.  I told my doctor to test me for everything, but when the results came back all he said was I'm fine.  I understand most standard testing doesn't include herpes.  I can try to contact his office to see what was tested, because I have a new doctor now.  My tests two years ago were after all my unprotected encounters but one.  My one unprotected encounter that I'm actually with right now swears she too is "clean".  I have no real reason to assume I have herpes but I'd hate to infect her just in case, so I've been avoiding sexual contact with her, which is causing problems.  I don't know how to tell her I'm nervous that another girl may have given me something.  

I've never had a cold-sore before and haven't yet, so from what I've been reading I've been pretty fortunate.  It seems as though the vast majority of people have HSV-1, which is really scaring me because I've definitely kissed more women than I've had intercourse with.  

There was no oral sex involved in either direction with the girl in question.  Unfortunately I didn't take my temperature when I had what I thought was fever.  If there was one it was mild and could have been triggered more by my anxiety than anything else.  

I guess the main thing that scares me is the girl's promiscuity and the fact that I got sick and itchy for two weeks just two days after coming into contact with her, which matches the herpes illness after exposure thing.  I guess it's going to be a long couple of weeks until I hit the 6 week mark and get retested.  

This has scared me so much that I've totally rethought my life.  I really don't want to be with anyone else ever again if I could just escape this time.  I don't know how so many people live with herpes, and i don't know how I would handle it.  I see myself meeting someone I want to spend the rest of my life with and right before our first kiss I have to say, "By the way I have herpes." It's crazy to think that a one night tryst even when wearing a condom can totally taint you and cost you a chance at all the things that could make you happy in the long run.  Thanks for listening.
Yes, please contact your doctor's office and see if your STD testing included herpes, that would be useful information to have about your previous status.  Remember that using a condom only reduces the risk of contracting herpes by 30-50%, which is good, but not perfect.  

If you have herpes, you will cope as does everyone in this situation, though clearly, some cope better than others.  But in the big picture in life, having a sore on your genitals three or four times per year that last a week, and can be even better controlled with medicine, is hardly the end of the world nor is it, I think, as important as whether or not you are a loving, thoughtful, gentle soul.

Having said all that, feeling itching and feverish and ill for two weeks sounds nothing like the symptoms people classically have with herpes.

And you are most welcome.

Terri