Herpes Expert Forum
Crawling Sensation

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Crawling Sensation

I had protected sex 6 months ago but unprotected oral (did not notice any cold sores to my recollection).

Three months ago I felt itching on the right part of my lower groin and a crawling sensation on the bottom of my testicles.  It went away after a few days (5).  I felt a little soreness in the legs by I choked that up to nerves because once I went reading into HSV2 anxiety set in. (I became very nervous with what the Internet told me).  By the way, no other symptoms were present.  I researched HSV-2 quite extensively and nothing I read matched so I didn't think anything of it.  I went to my doctor and he said "you're fine" and gave me an antibiotic for some reason.  I took it and felt fine.

A month later I felt some itching (intermittent, not constant) on the lower right side of my groin and the crawling sensation on the bottom part of my testicles (nowhere else). I thought I might have been wrong the first time so I examined myself extensively and found nothing.  I didn't have the other symptoms like rash, sores, blisters, swollen glands, backaches, fever, no urine pain, fatigue. I did develop a Hemorrhoid which I don't know if that's related. I went to a new doctor and told him the above and he said the same thing "you're fine" but I also explained that I developed severe anxiety and stress!  He said a blood test is unnecessary as he has seen hundreds of cases and nothing I mention matches HSV2.

A month later I felt just a crawling sensation around my lower testicles.  It lasted 2 weeks and went away.  I did notice a small bump that I mistook for a sore I think.  It was on the upper part of my penis near the rim.  It felt like a surface level bump and I freaked and picked and prodded on it. It went away after 3 days.  Probably unrelated but I became nervous. I have no other symptoms other than some mild leg soreness and a massive stress headache in the back of my head due to the anxiety.
I'm wondering, besides testing, what would reassure you that you don't have herpes?  I don't know that you don't have herpes, but nothing you've described sounds like herpes to me.  

If you were my patient, I would test you to reassure you.  

Having said that, you need to be aware of a few possibilities:  1) you could have a low positive that is a false positive, and you will then need to take yet another test, the western blot, to see if you are truly positive or negative.  2) you could test truly positive (about 80% of those infected don't have symptoms that they recognize  as herpes) and if you are infected, you may feel upset.  

It is up to you to weigh these thoughts against the anxiety that you are feeling about no knowing if you have herpes.  

Does that help you try to sort out the testing issue some?

Terri
Each doctor tells me there is no need for a test and my stress and anxiety is getting the best of me.  My GF I have been with since the encounter above knows I am worried but says she feels fine and would have prolly got it by now from me if I had it and please relax.
You have seen tons of cases and your statement "I don't know that you don't have herpes, but nothing you've described sounds like herpes to me." The latter part is what I heard from 3 different doctors I consulted directly (face to face) over this.  Your experience in these matters based on your last statement makes me feel better given I've heard this before on several occasions.  My most recent issue was weird because it was a crawling sensation in my testicles which (from what i've read) doesn't occur due to the sensation will occur where there the OB will occur.  I never received any of that and just had the slight tingling/crawling and mild leg soreness.

My doctors all say that "you don't have it based on what you told me" and yet were not open to testing me because of the risks of false positives or negatives (based on their experience).

Not sure at this juncture.
Perhaps my statement wasn't clear.  Many people with herpes have no symptoms suggestive of herpes to them.  So when I say I don't know if you have herpes, I mean that you could be infected and not know it.  

However, the SYMPTOMS you describe now are not suggestive of herpes.  

Only you can decide if you want to take the test.  Only 5.5 % of our patients who get the herpes test, test in the low positive range, so that's not very likely and can be clarified, if needed.  False negatives for HSV 2 are also rare if you wait long enough from exposure to testing.  Again, up to you.

Terri
Thank you Terri!

I also read that the prodrome occurs up to and slightly beyond the outbreak which can be minutes to 4 to 5 days (from what I read from my hospitals website - I try to steer away from just any website about this).  All my symptoms are either slight crawling (not overly bothersome) or slight itching but not bothersome either (not really itching hard in the area) and they last around 2 weeks with no obvious OB's... ever...
But again, so many things could cause those symptoms.  Really difficult to say.

Terri
Yes, now I need to figure out what it really is since it's not what I think it is. Ugh :)

Thank you Terri.
You're welcome.  So hoping you can sort this out.

Terri
Terri,

I went to the doctor shortly after your post in Feb and did a blood test which came back hsv2 negative :-)

But I still get nerve/tingle sensations every few weeks.

Thoughts?
I suppose lots of things could cause tingling in the genital area - nerve compression, disc compression, prostate issues.  Now that you have a negative test, you can be quite certain that the cause isn't herpes.

Terri
Understood and thank you. :-)  It seems every few weeks I get nerve sensations in the scrotum (localized -- never beyond that area) that last a few days with very mild itching (a scratch here and there) and then go away.

Very confusing. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thank you in advance!
Again, I don't have any way to know what is causing your symptoms in the scrotum.  There could be many causes

Terri