Herpes Community
Cystoscopy With Genital Herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Cystoscopy With Genital Herpes

So, i am scheduled for a cystoscopy soon. It's a procedure where they insert a tube in the urethra and move it all the way to the bladder so they can see what's going on there. My question is: Assuming that i have genital herpes, and it being possible for herpes to shed inside the urethra, is there a risk of the virus traveling from the urethra up to the bladder with the instrument to cause infection there? I know it's not an usual question but i'm worried.
you are already infected with the virus there so you can't make it "worse" by having a cystoscopy. It's not an issue at all.

grace
Yes, i'm infected with the virus on my penis and perhaps inside the urethra, but i just wondered if it could travel from the urethra all the way to my bladder. I don't think my bladder exactly is already infected with herpes even if my penis and urethra were? So it's kind of a question of auto-inoculation to the bladder and other lower parts of my urinary tract.

yes, it's already there dear.  it's all the same set of nerves and the virus is already infecting that set of nerves. as I said, this isn't an issue for you.
Okay, thanks!