Herpes Community
Daily PCR Swab Home Testing Questions

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Daily PCR Swab Home Testing Questions

I was hoping to obtain more information about the daily PCR swabbing tests offered at the Westover Heights Clinic. I've currently received negative results on all my blood tests, but want to reinforce my results and reassure myself by performing a series of these swabs (regardless of the odds or costs involved). Has anyone ever done this? If so, I was hoping you could share your experience, and answer some specific questions I have:

1.) Is there a chance of receiving false-positives?

2.) How long does one need to perform daily swabs in order to reach maximum accuracy and be as sure as possible that they are not infected with HSV 1 or 2?

3.) Is performing the tests pretty easy to administer, process & handle?

Thanks.
Also,

Does anyone have any insight regarding the Herpes 1&2 DNA PCR Testing blood test? I've read on here that it's essentially a useless test because herpes is not a blood-borne virus, but the testing site I'm considering reads, "This test is used to aid in the diagnosis of Herpes Simples Virus infections.  PCR testing screens for viral genetic material or DNA in a blood sample.  This test is highly sensitive and can detect even small amounts of viral DNA.  The Herpes 1&2 DNA PCR can detect both type 1 and type 2 Herpes infections.  Results for this test are qualitative and come back with either a positive or negative result....The Herpes DNA PCR test is not typically ordered as a screening.  Due to the complex nature of this test, it is recommended that a patient consult a doctor to determine if this test is medically relevant for their situation.  In some cases this test may be ordered by patients who have received negative results for Herpes antibody testing but are still concerned that the virus may be present in their system."

Any thoughts?                                                              
you already have a post on the herpes expert forum. follow up there to get your money's worth!