Herpes Community
Diagnosed with HSV 1 never had symptoms

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Diagnosed with HSV 1 never had symptoms

Hey, i was diagnosed with hsv 1 and i have never had any out break what so ever in my whole life. If my girl friend has genital HSV 1, can i get an outbreak of hsv 1 gentially?
I believe you won't find out if you have it orally or genitally until you get an outbreak yourself in either location. Once and if you get an outbreak you'll know where your hsv1 affects you. For what i've been reading so far I think once it affects you in one are it won't affect you in the other. (i.e your girlfriend wont get it in her mouth)
Either way at this point it doesn't make a difference. Since you both have the HSV1 you can keep up and go on with your life as normal, since there's no more risk. Wether you'll show the symptoms on your mouth or on your genitals (or maybe never show symptoms at all) has nothing to do with her having it genitally.
I was reading on the mayo-clinic and other sites that almost everyone by the time they turn 20 has gotten some form of HSV-1.  Usually everyone gets it during their childhood.  Which is why "cold sores" are so common.  "cold sores" aka oral herpes is caused by HSV-1.  No need to worries. HSV-2, then I might be concerned...
Well i believe i gave it to her orally. In which i had no idea i even had hsv1 because ive never had an outbreak. So basically i dont need to worry since i already have it correct. Just im worrying about is since ive never had an outbreak, could i end up getting one in the genital area. And would it be okay to still do oral or am i risking getting a oral outbreak.
If you test + for hsv1 on a blood test and can't recall any symptoms either orally or genitally, chances are good it's an oral infection. Most adults have hsv1 orally but only 20-40% of them ever get noticeable cold sores to know it.

If you have hsv1 orally and your gf has hsv1 genitally - usually the only precautions you have to take are to avoid sex whenever she has genital symptoms.  Your own hsv1 infection gives you significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally later on.  

Hope that helps :)

grace
That actually helped a lot thank you, but two more question so even with an out break she has the chances of giving it to genitally or is it very slim because i already have it. And since im positive for hsv1 and she is too but genitally does that mean we cant ever have unprotected sex or may i get it. Or may not because ive never had a symptom orally?

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Thanks a lot,
Matt
You aren't likely to contract hsv1 genitally from her. When she has an ob - avoid sex until it's healed.

if she doesn't have hsv1 orally herself already ( which there's no easy way to know unless she gets obvious cold sores that she can see ) she's not likely to contract hsv1 orally from you either.

both of you already have significant protection from acquiring hsv1 in a new location.

grace
in the same vein, if i have genital hsv1 and have an outbreak somewhere other than my genitals, say around my tailbone, and my boyfriend has oral hsv1, what is the risk of transmitting it genitally during this outbreak?
Even though your ob is on the tailbone area and not on the actual genitals - you should still avoid sex. Chances are good that you are also shedding the virus from the entire anogenital area at the same time.

grace
from what i've read, i'm led to believe that having antibodies to hsv1 protects from viral shedding.  is that not the case?
No. It's not the case.
okay, let me ask this.  if both me and my partner have genital hsv1, then viral shedding is not an issue.  is that correct?  just trying to understand how all this works.  thanks.
Having a hsv1 infection on one body part does provide you with significant protection from acquiring it on another body part. It's not 100% though. It's still advised that if one person has hsv1 orally and the other genitally to avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms just to err on the side of caution.

If both partners have hsv1 genitally then sex during an ob isn't an issue.  I still wouldn't perform oral on active lesions - for reasons besides just herpes.

grace
thanks grace.  that clears it up exactly!
Okay but does the whole sex thing include unprotected... or just protected
Protected sex would make it even less likely that you'd get hsv1 genitally from your partner. As always - avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms in her.

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers