Herpes Community
Diagnosed with HSV. Will my baby be ok?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Diagnosed with HSV. Will my baby be ok?

I'm 25 years old. I have a good job. I'm a responsible adult. I have a wonderful and loving boyfriend of almost 3 years. We can call him J. We are expecting our first child. I'm 20 weeks today. The twist is J has HSV-2. We thought we were being careful...

Approximately 3 weeks ago my midwife sent me to have blood work done.. Various routine tests...

2 days ago she called me back. I came back positive for HSV. I am terrified. I had a blood test at my first appointment at 7-8 weeks. My first question is do they test for that is the first blood test? If so, and it came back negative, that would mean I've caught it between then and now. Again, even more terrifying. I haven't found any good news online about this situation. I have an appt with my midwife in a few days... So I will be able to ask lots if questions then... But I literally cannot think I anything else right now. My baby hasn't even been born and I've already put his or her life in danger. I feel completely helpless. My midwife did ask me if I had had any outbreaks. I said no. And to my knowledge, I have not had any. However, now I'm paranoid..... Just yesterday I Started to feel something... Yesterday is was a tickle or an itch around my butt (so embarrassed right now), and today I felt a tingle around my vulva. It wasnt for very long thought... a few seconds and then it was gone. Now.... I can't really tell what it is that I'm feeling and if it really is out of the ordinary... As a women we get all sorts of funny little itches here and there... What if I'm or of those people who never had a visible outbreak?!?!? How will I know if I'm having an outbreak when I go into labour????? I really need to know what I am looking for. I need to know if my baby will be ok... Mentally and physically... Can the baby get the virus while inside of me???
Tags: HSV
is your partner on daily suppressive therapy for his hsv2? are you using condoms while you are pregnant?

you will need to ask your provider if you were tested for herpes before this. most providers do not test for it but some do. give them a call in the morning and ask.

if you can get your actual test results to post here, I can better help you - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.4 and hsv2 igg 2.2 or whatever they are.

yes, the baby can contact herpes while in utero if this is a newly acquired infection for you.

grace
Hello..

I didn't know he had to be in suppressants daily... We just didn't think. It's a guilt that unfortunately I now have to deal with. We didn't use condoms all the time.. Again I was careless... I had not done my research.  I will call my midwife and ask if I had been tested for HSV at my first appointment. If I wasn't, then it's possible I got it before right?

I don't know what else do to. I feel helpless.  Is there a way they can tell how long I've had it?

Is there a chance I can have a regular birth and healthy baby?
odds are that you will have a completely healthy baby. since if you do have hsv2, we know you contracted it before your 3rd trimester, you can have a vaginal birth too unless you have symptoms near the time of delivery.
Thank you. I'm going to try and find out more about my diagnosis.