Herpes Community
Did I spread genital HSV-1 to my mouth/throat?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 about four months ago and had my first recurrent outbreak 2 weeks ago.  

4 days ago I woke up with a sore throat.  It wasn't as horrible as a strep throat sore throat, but it was certainly very sore and scratchy.  I also had swollen glands in my throat.  Just today, I noticed two flesh colored bumps on my throat next to my left tonsil and some more bumps on that left tonsil.  I have not experienced any tingling sensations, bumps, pimple-like growths or redness on the outside of my mouth at all.  Just the stuff in my throat.  It is just strange because I never get sick or have sore throats.  I also haven't continued to get sick like I would assume to if it was some sort of non-herpes related infection.  

Is this characteristic of an initial oral herpes outbreak?  Or is this most likely some other infection?  Thank you so much.
A good percentage of folks who contract hsv1 genitally, also contract it orally at the same time. We don't have good stats on this because the research is limited that we have and pretty much only looked for obvious cold sores but it happens.

That said, it would be unusual for 4 months later for your first oral hsv1 infection to be showing up with the symptoms you are describing.  It's more likely what is going on is completely non-hsv related. Follow up on it with your provider to make sure you don't have strep throat or something going on.

grace