Herpes Community
Did we infect each other?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Did we infect each other?

My boyfriend told me that he tested positive for herpes and that I should be tested. His results were:

HSV 1 = 5.64
HSV 2 = 1.64

When I was tested, my results were:

HSV 1 = 1.16
HSV 2 = 3.34

Did I give him HSV 2? Does my higher # indicate that i had it first? He says that he remembers a rash before but thought it was his exema (eczema).  This was before we dated.  Now i fear that i did this, though i have never had a breakout.  

And do I really have HSV 1? Or could that be a false positive?

I think what I read is that we don't have to worry about being careful because we are poth positive. Is that correct?
both of you have low positives and will need to confirm them with further testing to see if they are false positives or not. We recommend getting a herpes WB blood test for you both. If your provider uses quest labs, it's test #34534. It's a send out from all quest labs so if your local lab seems stumped, let them know that it gets sent to the U of washington.

grace
Grace,

His HSV 2 test was 1.64, but mine was 3.34.  Is my 3.34 really a low positive?  I think I am confirmed HSV 2 positive, right?

I do belive that my HSV1 is low and that I need to have that confirmed.  Will work on that. Please confirm if I need another HSV 2 test.  Thanks!
yes it is a low positive and since you haven't had symptoms, confirming it is a good idea.